Smith Barney FA Math Test and Opportunity

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by BenBerggreen, Oct 26, 2007.

1. I was just looking over the thread a bit closer and saw this post.

At 100K a year you are in the upper 5% of household income in the US.

Assuming you are not a trust fund kid, I think you need to seriously consider some type of financial counseling. I say this respectfully. I don't think your problem is Smith Barney or finding a high paying job.

FWIW, I have the job you desire and if that were my quote, I think I would be pretty miserable as I would not have the significant savings I've built up over the years by living below my means.

#21     Oct 27, 2007
  2. AMW

AMW

I'm a former cboe trader (also searching for a new career) and several of my old co-workers have gone the financial advising route. They learned nothing and made nothing. These guys were truly miserable. I'm sure you'll be able to find some former FA's explain what the job is REALLY like.

The fact that these positions are so easy to get is a huge warning.

#22     Oct 30, 2007
  3. Same here Ben,

35 y/o..been a sellside agency trader(glorified clerk)for 5 years. Things are getting loosy goosey and I have the feeling I should be looking around. I must have sent out 50 CV`s in the last 2 months..not one freakin response. The street is not hiring right now.

I was a FA at Prudential before I worked in trading. You will hate the job..I sure did. I realized 2 months into it it was not for me(i.e lie and shove product down someones throat) and hung around to collect my paycheck until they told me to get lost.

#23     Oct 30, 2007
  4. RedDuke

RedDuke

Guys,

You have been around trading professionals for several years, why did you not learn enough to trade your own money? This seems like a logical next step after you took those positions.

redduke

#24     Oct 30, 2007
  5. Worst case, you can work for AMERIPRISE and court the IHOP crowd...

#25     Oct 30, 2007
  6. I cannot speak for the others. But active trading and working sell side flow dont mesh...it is called a "conflict of interests" in regulatory legalese.

#26     Oct 30, 2007
  7. Why didn't these guys trade their own account? Just looking to do something else?

#27     Oct 30, 2007
  8. gnome

gnome

WHAT account?

#28     Oct 30, 2007