Smith Barney FA Math Test and Opportunity

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by BenBerggreen, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Any advice on how to get started, I am decent with html and advanced with Excel and Tradestation Easy Language?

Courses etc???

#11     Oct 26, 2007
  2. You're taking a step down if you go for Financial Advisor. It is an oversaturated industry with little barrier to entry.

Take the job, collect the first year salary but expect a change of profession. Unless you get lucky and land a few quality clients.

Being a broker is probably the coolest job, IF you got the clientele.

#12     Oct 26, 2007
  3. Not the goal, the minimum I need to pay the bills.

#13     Oct 26, 2007
  4. RedDuke

RedDuke

Ben,

The best way to get into IT world is to find a school in your area, something that focuses on getting you the job at the end, and take a crush course there. It probably will be something that runs during evenings and weekends, where developers who have day jobs teach at night. You need someone like this to teach you how real world programming works.

The school probably will not get you the job, but these days looking through monster, hotjobs and dice can get you interviews.

One of the highest paid areas in IT these days is SAP (German company). Not difficult to learn at well.

You will also need to be creative on your resume after graduation.

Regards,
    redduke

#14     Oct 26, 2007
  5. Unless you can pull in a lot of high net worth clients, I think the days of making a ton in financial planning are over. With hundreds of shops out there the comissions have been cut so much that it takes twice the book to make the same amount.

I interned at a "big name" firm and the old guys did nothing but kick back with their 100+ Mil book while the young guys were severely struggling to pull in assets. Typically the way it works is they front you the cash for two years and after the training program you go on 100% comission.

The hard part for young people like us is cold calling doesnt work as well as the "old days" and trying to talk some 55 year old doctor into leting "some kid" manage his millions is no easy task.

Maybe the movie boiler room could teach you something? :D

#15     Oct 26, 2007
  6. The age is not my problem, at 37 lean and mean, I don't have a problem reflecting a positive image. Problem is, I don't feel like working my ass off for someone else (been there, done that). You see, being a buy side trader is the most cushiony job out there that pays well into the six figures. Now I am having a hard time readjusting to the mediocre pay scales for most other jobs. So I thought maybe a commission based position at a big firm could cover my needs, but it seems like I am wrong. Maybe I'll be a pole dancer instead

Hmm, I need to do some serious reflecting:eek:

#16     Oct 26, 2007
  7. BEN,

with all honest respect, why don´t you think about establishing your own little "hedgefund shop" ? 2 % Management Fee, 25 / 35 / 43 % incentive fees - doesn´t it sound good to earn your living ?

A.S.

#17     Oct 26, 2007
  8. Thanks for the tip, I have been working on that actually. I have the strategy and the results, but no backer. I found that without at least a few mill in the account people don't take you seriously. So until then, I have to find something else, unless you have the dosh and are willing to take a chance on a total stranger...

#18     Oct 26, 2007
  9. If you are interested in the IT side, look into data mining or information security.

Your dollar yearly figure is easily achievable in info sec.

Good luck.

#19     Oct 27, 2007
  10. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i was head quant for a smith barney office and i didn't take a math test. that's why we have computers, they made me make them some money that was my test. mb

oh now btw there were some fancy clothes wearing guys in some other offices who probably did have to take a math test i bet. but i would avoid those offices cause that's more sales. you want to be in a trading office.

#20     Oct 27, 2007