Smear of Herman Cain Echoes Attack on Justice Thomas

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Give it to the left, they are not afraid to call the exact same play twice. When another accomplished conservative african-american, Clarence Thomas, was about to ascend to a position of great prominence, they produced scurrilous and fairly ridiculous charges of sexual harassment. The charges, from Thomas' longtime protege Anita Hill, amounted to nothing, even if true, eg some rebuffed requests for dates and some lockerroom joking in the office, but were elevated by the left and their media allies into an allout smear offensive. But for Thomas' great personal courage, he would be a footnote in history, as the weak moderate republicans behind his nomination, Sen. John Danforth and Pres. Bush, would have folded like cheap lawn chairs. Thomas refused to withdraw his nomination and faced down the charges. Anita Hill became a heroine of the left, even though her charges were discredited and she was shown to be the worst sort of backstabber and craven opportunist. She has ridden her role into cushy academic positions, lately at Brandeis, once a respected institution.

Now we see the same play again. According to a report in a liberal rag, nameless accusers claim that Herman Cain sexually harassed them in the '90's. He firmly denies anything untoward happened. No doubt it will dog him throughout the campaign however, true or false.

I could accept this kind if thing if the media were consistent, but they are anything but. Going back to JFK and beyond, they have covered up sexual escapades of democrat candidates and officeholders. Much of the Washington press corps were aware of JFK's reckless affairs. Ben Bradlee, the Washington Post editor who had a huge role in the lynching of Richard Nixon, often partied with JFK in the White House. Not a word of scandal ever reached the public, lest the lie of "Camelot" be spoiled.

Similarly, LBJ was a serial womanizer and corrupt thug to boot. To the me4dia, he was the second coming of FDR, in more ways than one. The liberal media also covered up FDR's ongoing affair while president.

The media displayed a new found interest in sexual misconduct when Ronald Reagan was in the White House. Then the object was teh First Lady, nancy, who had been accused in a scurrilous book of having had an affair with Frank Sinatra.

When serial womanizer, accused rapist and confirmed sexual predator Bill Clinton was president, the media took on its familiar role of protector of liberal democrats. Instead of investigating the charges, it demonized or belittled the women, calling them trailer park trash or hinting that they were unstable. We were pompously lectured that sexual matters were private, something between a husband and wife, even though the wife in this case, hillary Clinton, had her own set of rumours of affairs that were dutifully ignored.

Now, with an accomplished and much admired conservative black man on the verge of making history, in rush the media to try to smear him as they did Clarence Thomas. This would be the same media who spent much of the 2008 campaign ignoring various claims of corruption, association with mobsters and terrorists and radicalism when the object was their favored candidate, Barrack obama.

Is it too much to expect some tiny bit of ethics and professionalism from the media or should we just ignore them altogether?

2. boy its been a tough year for you. first you loved sarah palin. then she flamed out when the rest of the world came to the same conclusion thinking people had all along. that she is a moron.
    then you switched to bachman. dito for her. flameout as soon as people got a look at her.
    now this.

3. I appreciate your sympathy. It's lonely at the top.

Carry on.

4. ever think there might be a flaw in you selection process?

5. I never endorsed Cain. In fact, I criticized him repeatedly as uninformed and also pointed out that the Presidency is not a starter job in politics. Just look at the mess obama has made.

I note that there has never been a breath of scandal surrounding Michelle Bachmann. I continue to believe she is the best choice, although I have not formally endorsed her either.

I am warming up a bit towards Perry. After watching his interview on Fox with Chris Wallace however, I continue to be astounded by his inability to deal with obvious questions. Either he is really dumb, really lazy or the victim of really poor staff work. In any case, it is inexcusable.

With Cain, we know we are not dealing with a professional pol who has access to a large staff. So, I can tolerate some missteps in exchange for his obvious genuiness.

6. In pointing out the media's hypocrisy in steadfasty ignoring and covering up democrat sex scandals while trumpeting republican ones, I forgot the most recent example. John Edwards had long been a media darling. His boyish good looks, money, poor boy background, populist rhetoric and hardleft wife seemed made to order, as was the fact he came from a southern state.

When rumours became rife during the '08 campaign that he was involved with a woman who had attached herself to the campaign, the media were silent. In fact, they adamantly refused to report on the scandal even after he left the race until the National Inquirer caught him dead to rights in a hotel with her.

7. Ann cuts the the chase:

Coulter: Politico's Smear Of Cain Shows Liberal Media "Terrified Of Strong, Conservative, Black Men"

Ann Coulter responds to a report from the "liberal publication" Politico that Herman Cain sexually harassed two women while he was the president of the National Restaurant Association.

"Liberals are terrified of Herman Cain. He is a strong conservative black man. Look at the way they go after Allen West and Michael Steele and they aren't even running against Obama. They are terrified of strong, conservative, black men," Coulter said.

The most damning part of the report, which is not well sourced, seems to be that Mr. Cain made "physical gestures" that weren't sexual in nature, but made the women uncomfortable:

There were also descriptions of physical gestures that were not overtly sexual but that made women who experienced or witnessed them uncomfortable and that they regarded as improper in a professional relationship.

On Sunday's edition of CNN's "Reliable Sources," one of Politico's top writers Roger Simon accused Rick Perry of being a racist, and said being one is helpful for a candidate in the Republican primary.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...rrified_of_strong_conservative_black_men.html

Rachel Maddow makes me uncomfortable. Where do I file a complaint?

8. Ricter

Ricter

In your opinion, does this smearing descend to the level of swiftboating?

9. How do you know if it's a smear or the truth AAA.

10. BSAM

BSAM

Here's what we got to place into law in the U.S.:

If you think you have been sexually harassed, you must report it within 24 hours.
    If you fail to report it within 24 hours, you will be jailed for life without parole if you ever mention it again, in any form whatsoever.
    Additionally, even if you do report it within 24 hours and then you sign your name off on a settlement, and you ever mention it again, in any form whatsoever, you will be jailed for life without parole.
    Don't tell me this jackass nonsense can't be stopped.

#10     Oct 31, 2011