Smart Routing Really Smart?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by PennySnatch, Mar 15, 2018.

1. I trade through Trade Station and TOS and they both have their Pros and Cons but each of them default to Smart Routing to execute orders. My question is: How "smart" is Smart Routing from the trader's side? And is there a better choice/method for the retail trader trading small lots of options and stocks? i.e would it be better that I choose the exchange instead of the platform? Thx for the help.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

In general, no, they are not SMART. They mostly go to market makers in return for PFOF. We have an equity route called LSPT. It hit dark and lit exchanges to find liquidity and costs $0.0015/share. Our clients like it very much for taking liquidity as it is lower cost than the ECNs and works well. We also offer the typical ECNs with DMA. Our option SMART routes give a MM a chance to take the other side but without delay get posted to an exchange if not executable. We also offer option DMA.

Bob

PennySnatch likes this.
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

:(
    I'm going to disagree with Robert Morse here, and offer "They're frikken *genius*!!"
    And what evidence do I have?? Well, the wonderful sales pitches that each platform provides to sell their SmartRoute algo as The Bee's Knees. :D:rolleyes:o_O

In relying upon the statements which the platforms (DMAs or not) make, one thing that is plain is that there are a number of ways to make a "Smart!" claim. I would off that I really don't care: as long as I don't have to get caught up in having to specify a specific exchange for each end of a combo for every 100+ trading day I have?? I'm good with that. In the times when I've taken a serious look at the various exchanges, I've seen markets that just seem to suck, and heavily. But by the time that gets assembled into a NBBO, "Whoa! Look at that!" If you want to claim a SmartRoute Special Sauce on that? "I'm good."

Lastly, as far as IB goes, I would note (for SPX combos)
    1) that I always seek MID prices.
    2) I rarely don't get hit at MID.
    3) I sometimes (5%??) get hit a nickel or a dime before MID --
    and on a 50¢ spread? That's kinda good. :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

(OMG. I just disagreed with Robert Morse. :confused:)

((I crack me up. :D Bob -- thank you so much for all your contributions to ET...! :D))

JackRab, zdreg and PennySnatch like this.
  4. The vast majority of my option limit orders get rebates.

SOR works for me.

Do you set your order at the mid or walk to it?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  5. Do you set your order at the mid or walk to it?

Mid

6. rb7

rb7

If you trade SPX, don't they only trade at CBOE??? Making smart routing useless!!

tommcginnis and comagnum like this.
  7. rb7

rb7

For US options, it's a bit useless since all US option exchanges have to fill at NBBO (for Public Customer orders).
    Generally speaking, brokers route their orders based on the cost of trading (for them, not for their clients).

8. toc

toc

Unless doing really heavy volume, a trader should focus on building/getting a solid system that gives extra slippage allocation in the results. Smart routing etc. is good only for heavy hitters in the algo world.

Care for animals........https://animalaidunlimited.org/

9. Dustin

Dustin

For taking liquidity in stocks, I have used a few smart routers (incl LSPD) and none can compare to IEX. I discussed this here:

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/lets-talk-routing.305390/

For options, the SMART route Bob mentions works very well. It's free to use (commission only, no fees) and you generally get your entire fill if the liquidity is posted.

murray t turtle and PennySnatch like this.
  10. %% More smart than stupid.
    But speaking of ''price improvement'' you can do better, entry anyway, mostly if you have the time. By the way i would NOT have a trading plan or system that depended on good executions..................................................................................And when my stop gets hit, i want out, smart out or just out LOL:D:DPartial disclosure ;I like IB calender,2.

#10     Mar 23, 2018
    PennySnatch likes this.