Smart Phone & i-Pad for charts & order entry?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by indexer, Jun 27, 2010.

1. indexer

indexer

Is anyone using an i-phone or Droid-phone or an i-pad for charting and/or order entry?

What is the latest in this area?

Are there any brokers or charting packages that have something decent?

2. I dont use them myself but Interactive Brokers, Think Or Swim and Etrade has iPhone/iPad. I use ToS and IB on Mac and they are really good.

3. maxpi

maxpi

I tried an iPad at an Apple store and loved it, I notice that Interactive Brokers has TWS for iPhone/Pad, wow, if my chart program could run on iPad that would be fantastic...

4. ramora

ramora

You might want to try VNC remote desktop back to your desktop charting machine.

I played around with it on my iphone and it was good, but the iphone screen was just too small. With the ipad it might be worth doing.

I tested mocha but the best was RealVNC which has been around a long time.

http://www.voip-sol.com/best-iphone-vnc-clients-remote-access-apps/

Good luck,

5. I was just thinking about not buying another laptop for travel, cuz the one I have is bulky and HEAVY, but some iPad variant.
    I'd like a 12" screen, enlarge the chart for viewing when a trade sets up, and using Sierra Charts chart trade entry function.
    Sounds like a winner to me.
    I'd sure like some joystick/game controller for trade entries.

6. VNC has been a very good solution for me. I've tried numerous combinations, while none of them were bad, the best for me is iTeleport on the iPad/iPhone and TightVNC on the desktop. TightVNC is free and iTeleport is $30, but at least it's a "universal" app that runs on both iPad and iPhone so you only have to buy it once.

I do hope IB does modify iTWS to take advantage of the iPad screen real estate though.

7. I thought you could "expand" what you're seeing on an iPad just like on an iPhone ?!?! NO??

8. You can. The first image below is what iTWS looks like on an iPad. Notice the "2X" button in the lower right of the first image. All this does is expand the app to fill the screen as in the second image. Really just sort of a cheesy hack by Apple to allow existing iPhone apps to look decent on an iPad. What I'm hoping for is a native iPad incarnation of iTWS that actually uses the full iPad screen resolution, effectively using the black area in the first image.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Pretty kewl stuff, except for the grainy res. Ergo your desire to use better native res on the iPad.
    Got it.
    Thanks!

10. that's the dirty secret about native iPhone running apps on the iPad. most of them look terrible on the higher res screen. They just do not translate well on the bigger display. If I were going to trade with the iPad I would just remote into a PC running TWS. If anyone can post a screenshot of that I'd be interested i seeing how it displays and if it is easy to trade.

#10     Jun 27, 2010