Smallest number of shares in a trade

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by NanaGreen, Sep 5, 2005.

1. volente_00

volente_00

Back when I was trading stocks I used to execute the majority of my trades on island and I would always chuckle when I would see and bid or ask for 1 share at a certain price. One stock that I traded was around $9 and there would always be someone buying or selling 1 share. Seems kind of pointless since the comission would be as much as the stock to execute the trade.

#11     Sep 17, 2005
  2. could 1 shr be used to triggered the stops prices ?
    if i only need to pay sec fees and no commission i will be doing 1 shrs all day to test out my strategy

#12     Sep 17, 2005
  3. 50 share should be the right amount if you are testing the waters any lower than that it becomes a useless game for the disparity on commissions.

#13     Sep 17, 2005
  4. Joe

Joe

Why not open a demo account and trade the real amount of shares you are testing for?

#14     Sep 17, 2005
  5. Don't like making any recommendations but I think you can find better commisions than IB for small odd lots.

It's worth having a look around.

#15     Sep 17, 2005
  6. alanm

alanm

Quote from shortseller:
    PROP ser 7 holders can only trade in ROUND LOTS.

Why?

#16     Sep 19, 2005
  7. Ebo

Ebo

Shortseller:

According to who?
    I trade odd lots of GOOG all the time to average into my position.
    Maybe you are just being forced to generate excess commissions by your firm. Don't assume everybody else works for the same bucket shop.

#17     Sep 19, 2005
  8. Its a question on the ser. 7 if memory servers correct.

lets all bombard the nyse spec. with odd lots .. hahaha i am sure hes gonna give ya all the fills ya want. (yeah right)

#18     Sep 19, 2005