Small time Daytraders - what is a good return?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ninety, Jul 28, 2008.

1. central park

central park Guest

good points, wutang.

the worst thing about daytrading business are the skills are not transferable to anything else. market changes, lose your edge, and you lose your livelihood.

good return is not losing everything.

CPW

#11     Jul 29, 2008
  2. whaddya mean not transferable.

petty thief is good in many venues.

#12     Jul 29, 2008
  3. ehorn

ehorn

Hi ninety,

IMHO, It makes sense to look at what the market offers. This can be measured by the range (i.e. daily ATR) of the instrument being traded. The trader should continually focus on improving his/her skill, experience, and knowledge while using the baseline of the daily range. As these improve, so too should the ROI relative to what the market offers each day.

#13     Jul 29, 2008
  4. I disagree. Poker in an honest trade.

#14     Jul 29, 2008
  5. JORGE

JORGE

Let's pretend you somehow round up a cool Billion, why is your business any stronger than an experienced trader managing his own funds. The fact that you are being held accountable by accredited investors who will pull their funds the moment you have a bad month doesn't exactly help one sleep well at night.

It might be hard to believe, but you can actually make a good living daytrading, go home in cash every night, and sleep just fine.

To the OP, it's possible to make 1% a day on a 4-1 retail account (sweeping profits, not compounding). It obviously becomes increasingly difficult to hit this target on large accounts, but on a sub 250k acct it is definitely attainable for an experienced trader.

#15     Jul 29, 2008
  6. So how many traders do you know that consistently make 200% a year (1% a day).

I know 2,454, maybe you know a few more.

By the way 'attainable ' is considered a weasel word and banned in most civilized countries.

#16     Jul 29, 2008
  7. There are day traders who make returns in % terms that would be considered unbelievable to most on this site (I'm not one of them). But they are there, and they are tight-lipped.

#17     Jul 29, 2008
  8. Mike21

Mike21

#18     Jul 29, 2008
  9. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

central park,

Are you telling me, discipline, being methodical, consistency and self-control do not translate other business??....

EF

#19     Jul 29, 2008
  10. Don't agree with you on the first part if you can manage to save cash. If you spend all your profits then yes, you are no better off because your risk of blowing up still remains. If you can shield yourself from that risk then yes, you are better off. You should have an amount equal to that of your trading account in the bank or in some liquid asset such as bonds. Over time increase your asset positions, relative to your trading account. It's all about managing risk.

Completely agree with you on your second point but you can use what I mentioned above to accomplish this goal even if you don't manage funds for a living. IMO....day trading is a respectable and admirable position because so very few can do it but I'm obviously biased. :p

#20     Jul 29, 2008