Small sample of ARCA FAST data

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by nitro, Jul 25, 2009.

1. nitro

nitro

http://www.nyse.com/press/1245839193594.html

#11     Jul 27, 2009
  2. squeeze

squeeze

Well I suppose it was only a matter of time. Happy to leave all this to someone else.

#12     Jul 27, 2009
  3. is this because you're IO bound here, or by 'flat' are you referring to the non-fast protocol?

#13     Jul 27, 2009
  4. We started with the CME RLC legacy and FIXFAST feeds. I wrote the original RLC code, it was your standard fixed length string cut up routine, nothing fancy. In fact, we were about 80% into a fairly conventional (table lookup) implementation of FIXFAST, and for the life of me, I couldn't understand why we were only barely breaking the 1.5M msg/sec mark. Then, one day, look at a piece of fragment, it hit me. That FIXFAST encoding / decoding is really a lot like a bit shifting state machine (if you think about it right), there are fairly new techniques using SIMD (single instruction, multiple data) to do stream data processing using data level parallelism, or under Intel, known as SSE2/3.

After that "aha" moment, it was pretty straight forward, it was just a matter of experimenting with some primitives, and seeing how they can stack up. And to fit the different bits into one processing "clock". I mean, this is not rocket science. We also took advantage of some compiler trickery to minimize data movement, template initialization, etc.

Funny you mentioned I/O bound, we actually had a substantially more difficult time to construct a simulator that pump a few hundred MBs of captured FIXFAST data into our system.

#14     Jul 28, 2009
  5. yea that's funny, those second numbers you posted looked a lot like my i/o bound simulator, so thought i'd ask.

thanks for the tip on sse2, i've never thought of using it for this type of problem scope, looks like a very nice fit. hopefully i can make some time to attempt something... although, i'll need to dust up on my assembler a bit first ;). regards

#15     Jul 28, 2009
  6. nitro

nitro

Very nice. Impressive.

#16     Jul 28, 2009