Small/Micro Cap buying journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by SiSePuede!, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boooooooo....hisssssssss...:D

I do find it funny that any lunatic can go into shit shat or poltricks and religion and post anti semitic remarks or bash muslims or worse.

But the line in the sand is penny stocks.

Whatever

#11     Jun 13, 2007
  2. Magna, hopefully you can understand that I started this thread due to my interest in small cap stocks and how to analyze them as it is much different from analyzing larger companies. I specifically stated that I didn't want it to be a momentum trading or pumping board. There are enough of those, I agree with you.

I trust that you'll understand that this thread is meant to be more about analyzing securities and not "stock picking.

Please let me know if there's a problem with discussing the merits of analyzing small/micro caps and we can just delete the thread because I was only hoping to spur conversation about how to analyze these securities and not end up as a monotonous thread of crap pumping.

Cheers. :D

#12     Jun 13, 2007
  3. You have a sad but true point. I can't say I remember seeing so many derogatorily racist comments on a message board in my life. But those who spew the racist jibes don't get their wrists slapped or anything. Kind of a bummer.

#13     Jun 13, 2007
  4. I agree sith SiSe.

As long as this doesn't turn into a pump and dump journal, I think micro cap stocks should be allowed to be discussed here.

One of the stocks mentioned is up 66% today. I would never have even heard of it if not for ET.

#14     Jun 13, 2007
  5. I clearly stated intent in the first post. I hope we are allowed to keep a thread like this as there are too many 'pump and dump' resources for small/micro caps and not enough actual forums to discuss how to research them. Researching them I've found is a whole different animal than any larger cap stocks.

My returns, and I'm seriously not boasting, probably blow away most traders and investors and I did almost all of it via small caps with serious research and to not allow inclusion of information that could help fellow investors out seems silly. Granted, I understand their rule, but this is more about discussion of company's health than their stocks. INVESTMENTS, at least in my opinion, are about faith and trust in the company and placing your money in the hands of people you think will turn it into something more valuable.

And the problems I have with the 2 rules are:

Stock must be over $5

- It's often the growth potential of a company that makes many of these stocks worth investing in. For Wal-Mart to double in size is not easy, for a startup that sells shoes is easy if they're penetrating markets. Not all stocks can start out at $5+ and $5 is only a product of the outstanding share count. So if the same company did a reverse split to bring their stock price above $5 it would be okay?!

Stocks must trade more than 1 million shares a day

- Actually, the best small caps are those that are tightly held, either by small cap funds or by insiders. Those are the companies that are often most likely to pay attention to growth because they're not pumping their stock for no reason only so insiders can sell out and stick shareholders. It's precisely stocks that have low floats that are often good for investments.

Cheers bro.

#15     Jun 13, 2007
  6. Magna

Magna Administrator

I will address recent posts, but I don't intend to get into a policy discussion with you guys on this matter. The policy is in place and has been that way for years, the rules are clear, there is nothing ambiguous about it.

I agree with you, and have been against the notion of Chit Chat since its inception, as those type of discussions always devolve into that sort of bashing. Of course, people promise to be civil and respectful there, just like people promise not to abuse a discussion of penny stocks... and often people lie. It's a fulltime job to monitor either.

Tremendous opportunities can be found in penny stocks, no denying it. Unfortunately tremendous opportunities for abuse always wait right around the corner for those type of stocks. Because of this Baron has a strict policy that they are not to be discussed here. As I said, there are countless websites that cater to those type of discussions, take your conversation to one of them please.

There are reasons when a stock is extremely cheap, and it's rarely due to a strong solid company. A line in the sand was drawn, and $5 was chosen as that is the generally accepted cutoff for penny stocks. Many brokerage houses will not permit you to short stocks priced below that.

Regarding volume, as I mentioned it's one or the other, and either criteria is fine. If it's less than $5 then it must trade 1,000,000+ shares per day. The low volume stocks are too easy to push around and invite promotion/pumping. Again, a line in the sand for clarity.

I appreciate you stated that, and you may have the best of intentions, but this is an anonymous message board and I've never seen a discussion of penny stocks on any board that didn't quickly turn into the next hot tip. The temptation is too strong. We have found over the years that while some have good intentions others use the opportunity to promote under the guise of just discussing things. And I realize no one here would ever do something like that (cough, cough). Sorry, it's the nature of the beast. If you cannot abide by the policy regarding No Discussion of Penny Stocks (either $5 or 1,000,000 avg shares traded) then I will need to close the thread.

#16     Jun 13, 2007
  7. I understand your points and it's your forum to have your way with. You might as well just lock down the thread now and let it fade.

It's pretty much a given that EVEN GREAT small/micro caps often trade under $5. People would be bummed if I came on the thread saying, "hey guys, check out this stock, I've been holding it since it was $1 and it hit $5 today so I can share it!:"

http://tinyurl.com/22xnk3
    ...well, maybe not once it was at $16 they wouldn't be bummed, but it seems rather illogical to deny someone the chance to hear about a good company and stock because of some totally arbitrary rules....although I would have preferred to discuss specific stocks anyway.

Cheers. :D

#17     Jun 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.