Small Business Owner Magazines, Newsletters, etc

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by brownsfan019, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Figured since there were Small Business Owners here - either trading or otherwise - I would ask what magazines, newsletters, etc you like to learn about different things. I don't want to narrow the recommendations, but just looking for suggestions on things to read to stay current.

For example, I love technology things that I can use in my business. We all know how quickly tech changes, so looking for a resource that will at least keep me up to date on stuff. That's one example.

Some other examples:
    > Money related things
    > Tech - hardware and software
    > General business ideas/practices

I hope the mod's don't mind, but I would like any links you have to magazines, newsletters, etc that I can take a look at.

Thanks!

2. I subscribe to alot of magazines (mostly because I rarely watch tv unless there is a good game on).

Off the top of my head, here's my list...

Money, Business2.0, Smart Money, Forbes, Fortune, Fortune Small Business, AAII (American Association of Individual Investors), Barron's, Motley Fool Hidden Gems, Departures, Robb Report, Motor Trend, Dupont Registry, and Unique Homes.

3. Thanks longhorns!

4. I appreciate that guys, thanks!!

5. For all you small business owners.. If someone has an amazing biz idea, how do they protect their idea/s , but at the same time, get help starting the business?

Is there a way I can make a contract that says "If you open your mouth about my idea to anyone, I can sue the sh-t out of you?"..

I need to understand the legal ramifications of my business idea, and if it's even possible, but I dont want to talk to anyone because I dont want them thinking "HEY!! this kid has a great idea...I think I'll do that" because they're already an expert in the field and could easily start such a business.

Was the above a problem when you guys started your business?

cm

6. Cash,

Couple comments. You could draw up a non disclosure agreement. On the flip side no one will sign it.

If you need money for your idea, the people with the money are not interested in developing a product, their interest is in money.

People in general are not that ambitous to steal your idea and bring it to fruitation.

Your idea has to be thought out to the max, in case someone does steal your idea, yours will be better.

If your idea is patentable, no cos will talk to you until you have a patent.

7. ""HEY!! this kid has a great idea...I think I'll do that" because they're already an expert in the field and could easily start such a business."

Think Yahoo, then Google. If it is a concept, it is my understanding there's not much in the way of protecting an idea.

If it is patentable and you patent it, a foreign country could infringe, it is always something.

Now the key to an internet business is this. Give something away and charge the advertisers. Just like we are doing here. Free message board, charge the sponsors. EBAY and others selling on line are sucker pitches, unless you have a brick and mortar store and are looking for some add on sales.

8. "Give something away and charge the advertisers. Just like we are doing here. Free message board, charge the sponsors. EBAY and others selling on line are"

Correction: I didn't mean "we" I meant "they". Sorry.

#10     Mar 7, 2007