slowing computer

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by osho67, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Good question. When I put a new web address or when I want to delete a email or when I want to backfill my charts or even sometimes when I enter an order in IB and click transmit.-all this and could be lots of others where you feel computer is slow to respond.

My son recently bought a new computer and when I use his computer,I find it is very fast. things happen in a flash.

#11     Oct 17, 2010
  2. I wish I was an experienced rich trader ,may be one day -feels not far from it. Then I will have a new computer ever year. Thanks for the suggestion. It gives a happy feeling.

#12     Oct 17, 2010

3. Thanks , I will try ccleaner . I have 4gb ram

#13     Oct 17, 2010
  4. learn to backup and reformat. Welcome to the cons of windoze. Registry errors abound and compound.

#14     Oct 17, 2010
  5. Yes to deal with windoze I use CCleaner, Glary Utilities, and Advanced Windows Care.

#15     Oct 17, 2010
  6. osho67: I bought a new computer last year for $430 incl tax and saw an immediate
    difference even tho it was a next-to-the-bottom box from a local builder
    it came accidentally installed with a refurbished 320gb hard drive which the store
    replaced with a new 160gb and I wished I'd kept the original or replaced it with a
    new 320 since there was a noticeable 'slowness' on booting compared to the 320

so what I'll suggest if there's no specific hardware failings is to consider purchasing
    a new hard drive - presuming it'll install in your present box
    I have a Seagate Barracuda installed but you should study the current specs
    speeds, reviews etc of the various manufacturers and capacities
    so far as price is concerned you can purchase one for under $100 and while you
    may have no need of 1TB capacity, IF that capacity is the fastest, buy that one

oh and if you use CCleaner which I do make sure you UNcheck 'Old Prefetch data'
    listed under Cleaner Settings/Windows/System

#16     Oct 17, 2010
  7. Eight

Eight

True, but add in a whitelisting firewall allowing only your necessary connections for your dedicated system [and block microsoft]

#17     Oct 17, 2010
  8. mark1

mark1 Guest

Crap Cleaner (CC) and occasional defrag is all you need. JkDefrag (now MyDefrag I think...) is free and one of the best, there's even a portable version.
    Also make sure the hard disk where the OS is installed is never too full, as a rule of thumb 15% of that HD capacity should be left empty.
    I totally agree with disabling windows updates, I've seen too many traders waking up with problems on their machine thanks to Microsh*t. You don't want to be their guinea pig!

#18     Oct 17, 2010
  9. are you using your 'puter for web surfing as well as trading..

if you are your a freaking idiot.

in this likely case you need to reformat and reinstall every 6 months

#19     Oct 17, 2010
  10. I second that. If trading, do not use it for surfing and don't let anyone else (kids, friends, etc.) anywhere near it.

#20     Oct 17, 2010