Slower economic growth needs to be engineered?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Ivanovich, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Sodajerk

Sodajerk

However "good" the intentions may be with which they are paving a road to hell, if government employees are causing harm to their bosses, i.e. we the people, without our informed consent, they are liable to prosecution.

#21     Apr 20, 2010
  2. I'm not giving the government a free pass on anything. I'm just considering the "why" they are behaving like complete and total clueless monkeys. And giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are not said monkeys.

#22     Apr 20, 2010
  3. Ivanovich may be finally seeing the light. LOL...

I've been arguing this for some time now. What the Malthusian detractors negect to understand is this: It's not the total number of people on the planet that matter anymore, as much as the total number of people living the American consumerist way of life.

The US has just under 5% of the world's population. Yet up until this crisis, consumed 25% of the oil that was produced globally. Is that possible for China to accomplish for it's own population of 1.3 Billion?

Malthus is back. Letting the market decide who consumes what without some voluntary restrictions is a recipe for global war - if that's avoidable at all.

We live in a finite system - planet earth - yet all economic charts continue into infinity. LOL. Think about it.

#23     Apr 20, 2010
  4. Nothing "needs" to be done, population growth peaked two decades ago and the problem is taking care of itself naturally.

#24     Apr 20, 2010
  5. Planet earth is 1 planet in 1 galaxy out of the more than 100 billion known galaxies that make up the universe which is expanding every day.. Dark matter and dark energy, which we know absolutely zero about, make up 95% of the everything in the universe. Therefore we only understand about 5% of the universe, but you think the system is finite? Think about that!

#25     Apr 20, 2010
  6. Chill out space cadet. When our world economy, that comprises 6.8 billion people, relies on resources and environments outside of planet earth to function and to house people, then we can talk.

Until then, we're a bunch of monkeys on a rock, and thus, all those economic charts that go to infinity with growth are confined by a closed system - planet earth.

#26     Apr 20, 2010
  7. Please explain. I'm genuinely interested.

#27     Apr 20, 2010
  8. Ah, so you've solved faster-than-light travel, have you?

#28     Apr 20, 2010
  9. Ah, but what is the capacity of the earth? With 95% of everything ( that would be the mass-energy density of the observable universe for you science challenged types) being completely unknown, no one can say. I'd guess in 100 years from now, long before we run dry the system you understand, that our understanding of these things will expand greatly.

Now don't get wrong. I'm not saying we don't have challenges or that we'll be able to overcome them. I'm merely pointing out that anyone who believes that all we have now is all there is doesn't understand much about the "system".

#29     Apr 20, 2010
  10. So your entire argument is based on something (a technology or an understanding) that does not exist today and even you are not sure how it will evolve?

What's the ticker symbol? I'm in.

#30     Apr 20, 2010