Slow PC help please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Funster, Mar 1, 2004.

1. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Linux only makes sense in most cases for server applications: You can save big bucks on licensing fees running server processes on Linux rather than Windows 2000 or 2003 server.

In fact, unless MS changes their fees, most server applications will move over to Linux at most midsize companies over the next couple of years. If you have the budget to hire IT people then it is usually much cheaper to dump MS on the server side and hire additional programmers or support people than pay the MS licensing fees.

On the client side most people and companies are sticking with MS for now ....

#11     Mar 1, 2004
  2. gnome

gnome

Just fishing here.... long boot time sounds like interference/conflict.

When you reinstalled your OS, did you disconnect EVERYTHING from the box? (No modem, no printer, no printer cable, no USB devices, etc) That is, you should have only HD, FD, CD, video card connected while you are installing OS. After basic drivers are installed, then install peripherals one at a time and reboot after each one to see if you have some conflict.

Then once you're satisfied you have a clean install, make a HD backup or image so you don't have to reinstall from scratch again.

#12     Mar 1, 2004
  3. I used to have an old Dell P3 that worked incredibly well with 512mb of RAM via Cable Modem. When I upgraded it from Windows 98 Second Edition to Windows XP Pro, I did not run into any problems whatsoever.

I just had to take some time loading in all of the drivers for XP.
    Other than that, it worked seamless.

#13     Mar 1, 2004
  4. gnome

gnome

You ran the "Win2000 => XP Upgrade" package rather than a "fresh" install of XP? If so, that's the first place I'd look for trouble. And IF so, don't bother trying to fix it, just install XP from scratch.

#14     Mar 1, 2004
  5. Funster

Funster

gnome et al

thanks for your quick help.

I have found the solution to most of my ills though.

Matrox was the bugger (aren't they always?) ! The standard W2k drivers for my 4 screen card worked fine on my old mbo but needed the latest (feb 19th) drivers from the matrox site for new p4 board. Speed is generally now much faster.

By the way, Gnome, I have always heard that it is better to install everything you intend to use hardware wise right off the bat. Perhaps it's one of those (your baby should sleep on her front, no we've changed our mind, on her back, type of things :) )

#15     Mar 1, 2004
  6. gnome

gnome

Video Drivers, yes.... nasty little things. It seems like lots of stinky problems are caused by them.

Not only have I been told to "disconnect everything" during OS installation, it even makes sense.... you want any possible source of interference or cross-talk noise eliminated during the installation of the OS and drivers. If those aren't right, they're a base of trouble you almost can't recover from without a fresh install. Once you get up to the "basic drivers installed" point, then it's still a good idea to check everything "one device at a time". That way, if there's a problem, you can isolate it. If you install several things for the Plug N Play and there is a problem, you don't know which is the culprit.

(Then again, at places like Dell, I'm sure they just load up all the components and run some "setup" software and it works fine. However, I was told at a computer shop that they have "setup packages" which are not sold to the retail public [I asked if I could buy a copy of such software, and they said NO!!].... That's probably what lets them handle everything at once.)

And as Win2000 is less automated about driver installation than XP, it seems likely it would be more sensitive.

#16     Mar 1, 2004
  7. Amkeer

Amkeer

Always, always, do a clean install and do not do an upgrade! You want to backup all data, format and install. The quickest way to a headache is upgrade!

I will always build my own boxes since it takes minimal time and I know they are done right.:D

#17     Mar 3, 2004
  8. DDR ram
    HT enabled P4
    800 Mhz FSB

these were the essential features I noticed lacking in your description of your dream machine.

the 1.5GB was wasted resource, 1GB is sufficient in most cases

The DDR allows for easier swapping and memory management. This is usually coupled with processors with high L2 &/OR L3 caches.

You would be thrilled with the AMD 64bit processor based systems, even using 512MB memory.

sorry for your troubles

#18     Mar 3, 2004
  9. Funster

Funster

just thought I would complete this thread by saying all my problems now seem fixed.

Two solutions (for those that prefer, like myself to have the exact speck and software unavailable by buying an off the shelf system):

1. Updated Video driver. Matrox fun and games !

2. In my bios I had a setting for each IDE drive - "Ultra DMA". Either AUTO or DISABLED. Basically I started using 40 way IDE cabling. This ultimately did not work with proper stability in the AUTO position but worked fine in the DISABLED position. When I switched to 80 way ATA cabling either setting was fine.

Hope this helps someone some time in the future !!!

#19     Mar 8, 2004
  10. prox

prox

Yeah exactly, if he knew how to install, setup and have a functional Linux system, why in the world would he need to post about hardware problems on a trading board ?

#20     Mar 8, 2004