slow cpu?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bronks, Sep 22, 2003.

1. I had something similar, i just downgrade to JDK1.3.1 , it run fine now. Can't run it properly with JDK 1.4.x

#11     Sep 22, 2003
  2. bronks

bronks

WHOA! Tried this and got: java virtual machine launcher/"Could not find the main class. Program will exit!" in a prompt box with a red X.

EDIT: Crap, now i can't get it back. Guess I gotta re-install. THANKS A LOT MIAMI! :D

#12     Sep 22, 2003
  3. bronks

bronks

I didn't think to try this since it worked perfectly fine with the same amount of RAM on my old machine with the exact same set-up. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Comp USA.

Here's the video card I'm using:

Mad Dog Multimedia
    prowler mx 440-se/GeForce4 graphics accelerator
    PCI 64mb

#13     Sep 22, 2003
  4. No sweat then. Check out OfficeMax and Staples. They're having RAM sales this week with mail-in rebates. RAM is cheap.

#14     Sep 22, 2003
  5. #15     Sep 23, 2003
  6. gnome

gnome

I'd be very surprised if adding ram cured your woes. Sounds like software problem to me.

#16     Sep 23, 2003
  7. Bob111

Bob111

1.right click on display->properties->settings->advanced->trobleshoot-set hardware acceleration to none.

2. Right click on IE-internet properties->advanced->uncheck boxes like-Java console enabled,Use Java 2.

3.go to control panel->system->advanced->performance->adjust for best performance.

4.make sure that you don't have any fancy screensavers, wallpapers-they all eat computer resources.

run system restore and create restore point.

5. click on start-> run->type-"msconfig"-> startup->uncheck all boxes->restart computer.

hope something from this list will help you!

Good Luck!

#17     Sep 23, 2003
  8. bronks

bronks

Thanks you guys.

Another member was kind enough to let me know the importance of having the correct (matching) RAM for my particular machine, of which I had no clue. So I will be updating it this weekend. I'll start with that first and continue a process of elimination until something works. I'll post the results after the upgrade.

#18     Sep 23, 2003
  9. Bob111

Bob111

before spending money try staff that i mention above then(if nothing works)-
    just wait for good deal in staples\office max-sometimes officemax have stuff, which was free after rebates. i bought lot of DDR memory, CDR,CDRW's and did recieve all the money from them.
    lots of people sell then all this stuff on ebay cheap too.

#19     Sep 23, 2003
  10. bronks

bronks

It turned out my machine was more deficient on RAM than I previously indicated. The outside of the CPU case was clearly marked with 256mb, but when I cracked her open and pulled out the stick (huh?) what do you know, 128mb of RAM. Note to self: Next time check the system FIRST to avoid being a dumbass.

Dumbass move #2. So I check the label on the stick (128/pc133) and hop on down to comp USA to buy 2> 256/pc133 chips. Which I also verified with a system match from www.crucial.com, of which another member so expertly told me about. (Thanks man!!) I get back home and installed 'um. No dice. Computer won't even boot...on top of that, it's making a faint beeping noise. WTF!!

After many hours and to make a long story short, the Toshiba stick I took out was for a 133 bus board BUT was backward compatible with a 100 bus board. However, the new chips, PNY's 256/133, were not. So back to comp USA for the exchange. Just so happened the pc100 series were the most expensive of all.

I'm happy to say that my computer is now very, very, VERY fast. And more importantly, ALL programs are functioning w/out a hitch and the java programs are rock-solid stable side by side.

Much thanks to all that helped and PM'd me and a special salute to W. You know your shit brother!

bronks

#20     Oct 1, 2003