Slow connection only when other PC is turned on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Intrinsic, Jan 20, 2004.

1. I have a cable connection with a linksys cable/dsl router. Currently have 3 PCs. PC one & two have Xp Pro & 3com eithernet cards. PC three has Xp home & a generic card.

I have had PC's one & two connected to the router for well over a year & everything works great.

Within the last week I connected PC three to the router with no problems & it works great. But...

When PC three is powered on, PC one's connection slows to a crawl, from over 1500 kbps to around 200. PC two & three's connection is not effected at all. When I turn off PC three everthing goes back to normal.

I've tried a few things like resetting the router, upgrading the firmware, and moving cables around, but still the same thing.

Has anyone heard of, or experienced something like this & have any suggestions? Thank you

2. Hubert

Hubert

check pc 3 for a virus you can use trend miros pc house call

good luck

3. All 3 PCs have zone alarm. Scanned them all for problems, could not find any.

Network Cards:

PC 1: 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)
    PC 2: 3Com 3C900B-TPO Ethernet Adapter (Generic)
    PC 3: SMC EZ CARD 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Series)#2

PC 1 is the one that slows down when PC 3 is powered on.

Here's what I did: I put PC 1's network card in PC 2 & put PC 2's network card in PC 1. Now PC 1's connection is back to normal & PC 2 is now slow. So it looks like it is just specific to that individual card.

PC 1 is my main computer so as long as it has a good connection when PC 3 is on I don't mind PC 2 being a little slow. So I am just going to leave everthing the way it is for now.

But I am still curious as to why that 3Com card doesn't seem to like it when PC 3 is turned on.

4. if you have a switch set all cards to 10mb full duplex
    if you have a hub set all to 10mb half duplex
    by default all nics are set to auto negotiate

the generic card only does 10mb