Slippage effects on scalping futures..

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Magyar77, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Magyar77

Magyar77

Your comments please...
    Slippage effects on scalping futures...

2. speedo

speedo

Too broad a question....which market, what size, what time frame

3. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

Depending on hold time:
    Months: insignificant (unless some extremely thinly traded shit)
    1day-1min: significant
    <1min: it's everything

So, with scalping, you really need to optimize slippage...

4. Magyar77

Magyar77

Silver market
    2 min chart
    But in and out of market within seconds.
    Now that’s on a Demo account.
    While I realize it’s different from a real account, I’m curious as to how much different .
    I do have trading experience in the past but not scalping experience. With this demo account of course I’m not experiencing any slippage.
    When I used to trade years ago there was slippage on my intraday trading.
    I wonder how profound the difference would be now on a real account as compared to a demo in today’s market.

5. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

As mentioned, more details needed.

Regarding US indicies, notwithstanding trade size,
    Limit orders will most times require trade-through to fill.
    MIT orders will most times incur at least 1 tick of slippage or favor.
    Most Micro contracts do not price-print at every quoted price/increment.

comagnum likes this.
  6. Magyar77

Magyar77

And what using a vps for faster execution

7. speedo

speedo

I am not familiar with the silver market but most simulation modes in quality execution platforms these days have algo's which do a good job. As you have done simulation tests, I would recommend taking some live trades, starting with one contract to find out and then lift size as you are comfortable and your trade plan, account size and comfort level allow. I have tested strategies in Ninja Sim and found them to be very nearly the same as live...however in more liquid markets, eg ES and NQ

Overnight likes this.
  8. Magyar77

Magyar77

I’m using generic trades platform for demo.
    They apparently have the lowest latency connection to the CME globex.
    I’ve used the demo account for scalping for the last 3 months and running my strategy I’m averaging 3-500 dollars a trading day.
    So either these demo accounts are bs and won’t translate fully to a real account or they will.
    At the very least I’m assuming that I would see some success with that strategy.

9. Magyar77

Magyar77

Perhaps I’ll run the strategy Ninja trader to compare

10. birdman

birdman

Dunno about futures, but scalping stocks and ETFs with market orders, slippage is pretty much determined by daily volume of instrument and order size. I can see better prices when limiting size to 500 shares. At 1000 shares i may or may not notice much change (sometimes will). At 3000, 5000 and 10,000 share blocks, i can expect the bulk of it will cost an extra cent. Of course, this can vary considerably depending on the daily volume of the selected instrument.

#10     Jan 3, 2020