Slippage Assumption

Discussion in 'Trading' started by nLepwa, Mar 10, 2010.

1. nLepwa

nLepwa

Dear ET,

I'm trying to model a trading strategy.

I'd like to buy 1000 shares of SPY.
    I assume I can get commissions of 1 cent per share. I'm not sure what a fair assumption for spread and slippage would be.
    Is it reasonable to assume 4 cents for this?

Then my cost for 1000 shares would be 5 cents per share. Is that underestimated?
    Does the answer change if I'm not trading SPY but another ETF or stock?

Thank you

Ninna

2. The spread for SPY is usually only 1 cent. If you can your mind and immediately dump the stock, you should be able to get out 1 cent lower. $10 for 1000 shares slippage plus commissions.

SPY is pretty thick. Trading about over 150 million shares a day these days.

Other ETFs... they are all different. Some have higher spreads. You probably need to spend some time in front of a level 2 to observe to get a feel for it. e.g. FAS... although the spread can be only 1 cent, when SPY moves, FAS moves 3 to 4 times faster - being an x3 ETF. So you can't just take the spread in consideration. You need to look at the ETF's volatility as well. A base comparison: Take the daily range of SPY for a given day, and compare it to the daily range of that ETF for the same day. You should get a feel for it.