Sleepless Nights

Discussion in 'Journals' started by lundy, Jun 6, 2002.

1. monee

monee

out of curiosity your stop loss is where?

#11     Jun 7, 2002
  2. Commisso

Commisso Guest

:( :( :( :( :( :(

#12     Jun 7, 2002
  3. monee

monee

Not my style but what the heck different strokes for different folks.
    Have accepted that I don't care if I miss money on trades which require a level of risk greater than I'm willing to accept.

#13     Jun 7, 2002
  4. lundy

lundy

my stop loss is when i lose 1/8th of my daytrading capital. :eek:

thats why I only use 1/8 of what I use thruout the day on these plays.

I buy options at the close, and if it goes against me, I buy NQ at the open. Roughly tho, my stop is 1203 on the nq's.

#14     Jun 7, 2002
  5. lundy

lundy

I sold my puts for a nice gain:). I still have calls.... all worthless :( . And i bought some more, as well as a few contracts of nq.

Will sell everything I bought today when we take out the hod... calls from yesterday get sold when we touch 1150.

we'll see how it goes.

#15     Jun 7, 2002
  6. lundy

lundy

I remember a thread not to long ago about averaging. Most people thought averaging was a losing proposition. Some thought it could be done profitably if done right and for the right reasons. I use averaging every time my gap play goes against me... as long as I still think i'm right. :eek:

#16     Jun 7, 2002
  7. monee

monee

sounds like you have a plan

As I said I stay away from high risk trades.

Good trading to you

#17     Jun 7, 2002
  8. doubling down has very negative emotions attached to it for me. It has never worked for me and I've decided not to do it anymore.

#18     Jun 7, 2002
  9. lundy

lundy

the negative effect comes from putting everything into a loser.

for me, the play is not yet a loser because i made money on the options spread.... at todays low, I was just at break even.

I like to diversify alot as well, so even when i am doubling down, it's not all my money, it's only a small portion...

i trade multiple time frames...

i trade different instruments, like options, futures, stocks, currencies.

I trade different strategies.

I even buy and sell cars part time!!!

When you diversify alot, it helps neutralize the whole psyche thing.

Also, i never double down on something when i realize i made a mistake in buying it in the first place, i only do it for specific plays.

Like this gap play, because it gapped down instead of up, the play is that the price goes back to yesterdays lows minimum.

#19     Jun 7, 2002
  10. lundy

lundy

Also, there are ways of doubling down that produce no extra risk.

Here are the methods I use for doubling down.

If first buy is on NQ @ 1500 and NQ goes to 1590, I will put on an option spread (buying calls and puts with a 1/1 ratio) while the price is @ 1590... this essentially limits my loss to 10 nq points on the NQ position... the loss on the options is only the premium...

but if it goes up, I make more profit because of the spread. So essentially, I am doubling down for profits, not for losses... I am accepting a 10 point loss or better.

If first buy is an option spread, my second buy is usally an NQ position, and hence I will have a tight stop on it.

#20     Jun 7, 2002