Skype is now free

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mcelitetrader, May 15, 2006.

1. mcelitetrader

mcelitetrader ET Sponsor

Amazing.....skype is now doing free outgoing calls to land phones and cell phones in the US and Canada. This is going to happen until Dec 2006.

The free market is alive and well and not a moment too soon....my provider is worse than garbage.

www.skype.com

2. TGregg

TGregg

Uhm nope. They advertise all over the site about how you can call Canada and the US, regular phones, mobiles and internet phones all for free, but when you DL the service it will not let you dial up a regular phone - says you need credits.

As far as I could tell, you have to give them ten bucks before you can call for "free".

3. Even with the $10, 10 cents to call anyone in the world isn't too bad - wouldn't you agree?

-TheActionKid

4. mcelitetrader

mcelitetrader ET Sponsor

try again.....click the fat blue balloon on the website and read the outline.

you have to add a 1 before any number....the call goes out like a long distance call.

It does work.....I have called people already.

What is this...do I work for skype.......haha......its just that I dislike all carriers. Youch...

5. TGregg

TGregg

I did just that, followed the instructions said I needed a +1 in front of the number so that's what I used. Then it said I needed credits to connect to a real phone.

6. TGregg

TGregg

This appears to be why it does not work for me:

"The evidence is piling up and pointing to the problem being IP ranges and figuring out if its in USA or not. At the moment it looks like all IP's in the range of 70.xxx.xxx.xxx to 79.xxx.xxx.xxx have issues (because skype thinks you are outside the USA). "

And they may have fixed that, since it works for me now. :)