Skill Vs. Edge

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Purple Barney, Jul 5, 2007.

Edge VS skill

1. An edge can be created through great skill

34 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. Edge has nothing to do with skill

32 vote(s)
    48.5%
  1. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

Someone who makes a living trading off of charts, S/R levels, good money management, does this person have an edge? Don't most people use charts to trade?

Can someone give a specific example of an edge?

For those traders that trade off of chart patterns with good money management skills, are they fooling themselves?

What about buying pullbacks in a trend with tight stops, is that an edge? How about being able to recognize that something is trending, is that an edge?

I don't really have an opinion. Just trying to understand the difference.

#51     Jul 5, 2007
  2. this all sounds well and good in theory.

however, your inherent inefficency is what will be your undoing, given enough time without an evolving edge(s)--

and by the way, edges are constantly changing/evolving/becoming extinct. many lose it all, or give up when their edge vanishes, as another is often simply too expensive/time consuming to develop.

best wishes,

surf

#52     Jul 5, 2007
  3. rosy2

rosy2

the profitable "edges" are usually just taking advantage of the current system and exploiting it fully. maybe the skill used is more creative cleverness than anything else.

just like a tax attorney finding loopholes; same thing.

#53     Jul 5, 2007
  4. Haha exactly, why the offer. Have the mods just not seen this guy trolling all over the forum? I'm used to people being banned quickly if they break the rules.

#54     Jul 5, 2007
  5. -doing what most others find hard to do.

#55     Jul 5, 2007
  6. I think this entire thread shows how the vast majority of traders were never actually "trading" but basically sticking the subway token into the toll booth.

#56     Jul 5, 2007
  7. more like the slot machine.

regards, surf

#57     Jul 5, 2007
  8. MrPaul

MrPaul

I'm in the same camp as you on this.

If for instance someone trades off Price and volume, simply identifies wholesale accumulation or distribution and trades the path of least resistance over years and years profitably, is it an edge or a skill?

#58     Jul 5, 2007
  9. this assumption is invalid because it assumes that everyone's skill levell is equal. it isn't. the market is not a simple meeting of clones.

#59     Jul 5, 2007

10. i agree and disagree. allow me to explain......

everyone's skill level is not equal, i agree---this is irrelevant, however, since the inherent ineffiency of trading without a real edge will destroy even the most skillful given enough time ( the rare outliers don't count)

the market is predator prey relationships with the prey being a meeting of the clones as you say. there are very, very few edges and the prey(clones) is everyone without an edge. reality is, its actually worse than a simple predator prey relationship since the vig is constantly digging into the prey ( clones) win or lose.

surf:D

#60     Jul 5, 2007