Skill Vs. Edge

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Purple Barney, Jul 5, 2007.

Edge VS skill

1. An edge can be created through great skill

34 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. Edge has nothing to do with skill

32 vote(s)
    48.5%

1. seriously, those "skills" you list are the same skill set as any trader who even just survives awhile. surviving traders are all experts in those skills. without an edge, those skills are worthless.

you are trading against super computers with all the above programed with no emotion, practically unlimited capital ( compared to you ), less vig, more speed,better and more information, You think you can beat this?? be my guest....

you need an edge, not skill.

regards,
    surf

#31     Jul 5, 2007
  2. I never said the only way to profit was chart reading/money management, but I fail to see how your point discounts mine when all you gave were examples of money management... proving my point!

#32     Jul 5, 2007
  3. Ha, ha, ha! That sentence in quote marks is from a posting that you responded to as though it backed your belief. That is a problem for you, too, you believe too much.

#33     Jul 5, 2007
  4. Ok this doesn't have anything to do with edge or skill but I would like to point something out.

SURVIVAL is the MOST important part of trading!! Thats the first thing and last thing you need to learn to become a successful trader. SURVIVE AND NOT BLOW UP. Remember that.

Making a profit? Thats what leverage is for.

#34     Jul 5, 2007
  5. I would say that "not blowing up" is a skill of some sort considering it's encapsulated in risk management which is certainly a skill. Cheers. :D

#35     Jul 5, 2007
  6. Not familiar with sarcasm?

I was laughing too, when I saw that by trying to disprove my point, you actually gave an example of my point.

#36     Jul 5, 2007
  7. Completely agree.

#37     Jul 5, 2007
  8. Ha, ha, ha! Not familiar with quote marks? That was not my example and not my point. The statement you're referring to was made by someone else. Densus maximus.
    Shouldn't you be working out on the sim, developing your edge?

#38     Jul 5, 2007
  9. bighog

bighog Guest

Bill Clinton would say: I did not have sex with that broad, she just gave me a BJ.

same deal here....when is sex sex and when is it not?

#39     Jul 5, 2007
  10. I tend to agree with this. In my discussion with Mav I stated that this is more semantics than anything else, but he seems to think it is an important one with an important difference.

#40     Jul 5, 2007