Size: How many ES Contracts would you trade?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Vienna, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Vienna

Vienna

I am trading the ES, with 10 contracts, for intraday swings, average gain maybe 4-6 points. My average initial stop is about 3 points, which is what my system needs. Reliability is high, around 70% (R/R etc. has nothing to do with my question).

I am accumulatiing gains, and I have a system for increasing the amount of contracts when I make profits (how I increase contracts is not subject of this thread).

My question is, with a stop of about 3 points (2 in some cases), what is the maximum practical amount of contracts you would trade? When does the 3 point stop start to "attract" price? 15? 50? How about a 2 point stop?

I reallly don't know, but am sure there are people on this board who trade big.

Thanks a lot for your input!

2. dloomis514

dloomis514 Guest

I see 50 and 100 contract es trades go off all day so until you get there I wouldnt worry.

In fact there was just a 51 on the es tomite

3. My recommendation is to limit your risk to less than 2% of your capital per trade.

If you risk 3 points per trade that's $150 risk. So if you are risking 2% per trade, then you should trade 1 contract per $7500 in your account. I would recommend something even higher since there is always the potential of a spike that blows through your stop by a substantial amount.

In my trading I also usually use stops of 2-3 points, and trade 1 contract per $10,000 in the account intraday, and 1 contract per $20,000 when holding overnight.

-blueberrycake

4. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I would trade small size.....makes it easier to sneak in and out on those quickie trades. I just do it frequently instead. That way it is safer for your capital, not risking it all on one roll of the dice.

5. Trane

Trane

Vienna,

In my experience you are fine with anything under 50, over that would just be speculation on my part -- but I think you can do 75 to 100 with 3pt stops with not much of a problem...

Good fortune on your journey...

PEACE [​IMG]

6. Vienna

Vienna

for taking the time!:)

7. VIENNA.... till you get above 25 contracts during the lunchtime dead zone..... it is not a problem at all.