Six biblical truths about money...

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by expiated, Mar 24, 2019.

1. SunTrader

SunTrader

Someone (Bono) once said in a song "the God I believe in is not sure of cash, mister".

In the howling wind comes a stinging rain
    See them driving nails
    Into the souls on the tree of pain
    From the firefly, a red orange glow
    See the face of fear
    Running scared in the valley below

Bullet the blue sky
    Bullet the blue sky
    Bullet the blue
    Bullet the blue

In the locust wind comes a rattle and hum
    Jacob wrestled the angel
    And the angel was overcome
    You plant a demon seed
    You raise a flower of fire
    See them burning crosses
    See the flames higher and higher

Bullet the blue sky
    Bullet the blue sky
    Bullet the blue
    Bullet the blue

(Yeah...alright)

So this guy comes up to me
    His face red like a rose on a thorn bush
    Like all the colors of a royal flush
    And he's peeling off those dollar bills
    Slapping ;em down
    One hundred, two hundred
    And I can see those fighter planes
    I can see those fighter planes
    Across the mud huts where the children sleep
    Through the valleys and the quiet city street
    We take the staircase to the first floor
    We turn the key and slowly unlock the door
    As a man breathes into a saxophone
    And through the walls we hear the city groan
    Outside it's America
    Outside it's America

[Spoken part follows]

So I'm back in my hotel room with Johnnie Coltrane and the love supreme. In the next room I hear some woman scream out that her lover's turning off, turning on the television. And I can't tell the difference between ABC news, Hill Street Blues, and a preacher on the old time gospel hour stealing money from the sick and the old.

Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister.

I feel a long way from the hills of San Salvador, where the sky is ripped open, and the rain pours through a gaping wound...pelting the women and children...pelting the women and children...

...who run...who run...into the arms...of America

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    #31     Mar 30, 2019
  2. stu

stu

or maybe even a bing & bob banger

[​IMG]

#32     Mar 30, 2019
    CaptainObvious likes this.
  3. expiated

expiated

If I add to the list from my entry of miscellaneous thoughts, it can be extended to ten...
    1. In and of itself, money is neither good nor evil. It can be used either way. But as followers of the Messiah, we ought to target it for good.
    2. Money has a lot of power, so we should/must use it carefully, thoughtfully, and wisely.
    3. It's not really our money. We are actually mere managers/stewards—not owners.
    4. We should endeavor to use our material goods in ways that foster faith and obedience.
    5. Our integrity is often tested in money matters.
    6. God loves a cheerful giver.
    7. Giving to Yahweh is an act of worship.
    8. Giving is a form of spiritual investment.
    9. It is impossible to out give God.
    10. God also asks us to give of our time, energy, and talent.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    #33     Mar 30, 2019
  4. You eventually do have to make up your mind. In effect you pretty much already did.

#34     Mar 30, 2019
  5. stu

stu

One of the many unattractive facets of religious belief is the way God bods do so often like to decide for themselves the minds of others.

#35     Mar 31, 2019
  6. Nobody decides for you hence you can't blame anyone for your choices. You can feel any way you like, that is your prerogative. But your feelings don't impact or change facts and the truth whatsoever.

:)

#36     Mar 31, 2019
  7. SunTrader

SunTrader

Religion does not care about facts or truth. Just belief.

#37     Mar 31, 2019
  8. stu

stu

In your previous post you decided for me. You said I do have to make up my mind and then decided for me that in effect, I have pretty much decided.
    Right after you decided that for me, you're saying no one decides for me.

Perhaps this is something lost by some if not all those who hold religious God beliefs.
    Unless you are basically superstitious, there isn't any need to decide, nor does anyone have to make any decision about such things. It is possible to understand and comprehend what something is without having to make any religious decision based upon any religious claim.

Sun Trader is right. Religion is about faith not truth.
    And about deciding things for others!

#38     Apr 1, 2019
  9. Actually organized religion is about money and power. Faith is simply a belief in something that one does not fully understand or have truly indisputable evidence for. I'm okay with faith, be it spiritual or science based theory. Organized religion is little more that a crime syndicate, occasionally doing some good in the community, but with a cost and expectation of being above the law. Men care about money. Men project their character onto God, thereby diminishing God to have some human quality they can relate to. Religion makes God in mans image, hence all the judgement and punishment for lack of obedience. I encourage the spiritual journey, along with science walking hand in hand. One must first dump all the ill advised religious indoctrination first before any truths will be unveiled.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    #39     Apr 1, 2019
  10. userque

userque

If you believe in God of the KJV Bible, then you must believe that God has been in existence forever; or that he had a creator that he hasn't revealed.

Big bang believers must believe that the big bang came from nothing.

My point is that the human mind can't wrap around any of these concepts.

None of these concepts is 'more logical' than the others. They all are mysteries.

#40     Apr 3, 2019