Six 22" monitor setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LEAPup, Aug 6, 2010.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

Lol!!!!! I'll buy a new setup AFTER I finally write a check for whatever the final damages are from my "friends" at the IRS.

I'll know this week what I'll be stroking a check for. Grrrrr!

I'm wanting a home setup that's different/better than what I use at the office. Maybe I can get you guys to pitch in after the gestapo IRS is finished with me?:D

(Seriously, thanks for the computer advice! I'm past that generation that knows them inside and out. Even my youngest son knows what's what in computers 10:1 over ol' Dad.:( :D )

#31     Aug 7, 2010
  2. BCE

BCE

Maestro's cool. :cool: Ask him about his setup. :)

#32     Aug 7, 2010
  3. you are an annoyingly seriously nice guy :D

#33     Aug 7, 2010
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

Thanks! Looks like he's been there and done that when it comes to MULTIPLE MONITORS! Wow!

#34     Aug 7, 2010
  5. LEAPup

LEAPup

LOL!!!!!:D

I appreciate you guys! I was losing it over the IRS bill, but after reading some comments here, and thinking about it for a couple of days, I guess it's only money. (Damnit!:( :D )

#35     Aug 7, 2010
  6. BCE

BCE

Best advice........................... Simplicity Creates Success
    :cool:
    [​IMG]

#36     Aug 7, 2010
  7. BCE

BCE

BTW if you type in "day trader" in Google images search with the filter off, Maestro's trading station is the third picture. :)

#37     Aug 7, 2010
  8. TBA99

TBA99

I've just finished a round of strategy testing using (6) 22" monitors.

System Components / Price:

(1) Computer [Used] $100.00, Video Cards [Used] $200.00, Monitors [New] $1200.00

Computer Specs:

CPU: P4 2.8GHz
    Motherboard: Asus P4 series (1 AGP / 2 PCI slots)
    RAM: 4GB
    HDD: 80GB

(2) Matrox G450 Dual Video PCI Cards
    (1) Matrox G550 Dual Video AGP Card
    (6) 22" monitors (DVI / Analog Inputs)

You can reduce the price further if you purchase second hand monitors (if you are displaying charts who cares about a couple of burnt pixles).
    You'll need tech knowledge or a tech friend to put this together (keep cost down).
    I was running IB / Quotetracker only.
    Opted for no third party internet security option (ran microsoft malicious software removal tool on new update release (test).
    Router (Firewall) + OS Patch Update + No Surfing + No Email = No Viruses (99% of the time anyway)
    Computer Stand - I use a 6ft. metro shelving unit. It can hold (12) 22" monitors + 2 Live Computers + 2 Backup Computers, Laser Printer, Router, + Cable & DSL Modem.
    You 'll need a good ball mouse (Logitech Trackman Marble) to move the pointer across the screens quickly.
    I have this trading unit unhooked at the moment but could reattach if someone is interested in a photo.

Cheers
    TBA99

#38     Aug 8, 2010
  9. LEAPup

LEAPup

Lol!!!!! Looks like me in the mornings!:D

On a serious note, I recently saw a guy walking down the grassy shoulder of a very dangerously narrow highway where people don't do 55mph. They do 80.:eek:

He had his backpack, and his dog was walking right beside him. I looked at my dash, and the temp readout was 96 degrees. The dog looked like he was REALLY thirsty, tongue hanging out, panting, etc.,

I couldn't help it. I normally wouldn't stop and pick up someone like that, but I had my Kimber .45 in between the seat and console. (Prior Marines... Yes, we like guns.:) )

I told the guy I was going about 8 miles up to the gas station, and he could get a ride, and bring his doggy. He proceded to tell me that he was a former insurance agent, and went broke over the last 3 years, then turned to drinking for a short time.

He hitch hiked here to see his kids, and was going about three hours back to his "home." Sad. I bought him a large bottle of water at the gas station, and bought another for his chow mix dog. The people at the gas station opened up a new package of the styrafoam (sp?) bowls, and that dog drank the entire bottle!:eek: I bought him another bottle, and told him that one's for the road.

I dropped them at the gas station, but couldn't help going up to Wendy's drive through, and buying several of the 99 cent burgers for the dog, and a double cheeseburger combo for the dog's owner.

They were both greatful. The dog made a jr. cheeseburger disappear in nano seconds.:eek: :D

The man never asked me for any money, and didn't have a "pitty party" attitude. Tough thing to see and hear, but I felt good about helping them out.:)

#39     Aug 9, 2010
  10. BCE

BCE

Good for you. I'm like that too. I've had people help me out when things weren't going so well, and likewise I try to lend a hand when I see someone in need. But I don't feed the "I'm helpless. Please pretend you're my mommy and daddy" group.

When I was in my early 20's I was hitchhiking back to CA from Boston and I had almost no money. A guy picked me up heading toward the Berkshires and after we talked a while he offered to give me $100 as someone had done that for him when he was hitchhiking while he was in the Navy. Couldn't believe it. I said it was too much and accepted $20 and was grateful. I never asked him for money. Then by the time I was leaving Santa Fe heading towards Albuquerque I was basically broke again. Some Native Americans heading off to do their laundry picked me up and again after talking for a while they gave me their laundry money and said they could do the laundry later in the week. Blew me away. Who would do that? And they insisted I take it. I always remember this kind gesture and the first one even today (this was many years ago).

When I got to Albuquerque I got a ride from some guy in an old Hudson and he told me the car was running poorly and he offered no guarantees. Sure enough he blew the engine about 20 miles out of town. But within minutes I got a ride from some cool guys heading directly to San Diego. I'll always remember this trip.

#40     Aug 9, 2010