Six 22" monitor setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LEAPup, Aug 6, 2010.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

Is that going to be a difficult (expensive) task? I already owe my a** to the IRS...:(

I guess it's only money though...

#11     Aug 6, 2010
  2. #12     Aug 6, 2010
  3. #13     Aug 6, 2010
  4. CyberpowerPC.com has a configurator for various models. Have him go down the list with you and pick out the components. I'd be partial to the ones with the X58 motherboards. I also like the Logitech MX518 mouse.

#14     Aug 6, 2010
  5. 30" monitor with just 1920x1200 resolution. I tell you from my experience... you are probably NOT going to like that. The monitors are too big to view close up and too grainly to display details. It is like watching your 50" TV from 3 feet away.

Each of those 22" monitors is capable of displaying 1920 lines and 1080 dots each, at least. 6 of them instead 2 x 30" monitor... will give you about 2 to 3 times more display power.

#15     Aug 6, 2010
  6. mokwit

mokwit

6 monitors in a standard 1PCIe X16 slot mainboard may well be difficult as while there are X1 version of cards such as Quadro 295 or 440 the X1 slots may be too underpowered to run them as they run at 20+ watts wghile the X1 slots are restricted to 10w e.g for this HP Compaq

PCI PCI Express x1 slots
    (3) full-height (4.34”), length (6.6”), Max power per slot 10W
    PCI Express x16 2.0 slot (for graphic cards)
    (1) full-height (4.34”), length (9.5”), Max power per slot 75W

Also some x16 slots are limited at 25w so what appears to be a 2 X16 motherboard may be incapable of running a second X16 card in the second X16 slot- especially if it is a Quad drawing 30+ Watts. Important to check the detailed spec.

#16     Aug 6, 2010
  7. Picaso

Picaso

No, 24" and similar monitors: 1920x1200

30" is 2560x1600 (about same pixel size)

Still, of course 6 times 1920x1080 is a bigger desktop (about 50% bigger), you would need a third 30" monitor to match that size

Sorry for any ambiguity :eek:

#17     Aug 6, 2010
  8. JamesJ

JamesJ

i trade with 4 x 24' at 1920x1080 with a Matrox M9140 LP PCIe x16 QuadHead.

additionaly i use a different workstation (for email, skype, msn, news) with a 30' at 2560×1600 left of the 2x2 tower.

I must say I'm pretty happy with that setup, two 30' above each other gets too high, bad to look at top screen.
    i might extend the setup by another 30' screen on the right... but that's not sure yet, and it will also pose a few problems in terms of graphic card..

I'll see, will talk to a bloomberg guy anyway for a terminal... maybe i'll have to change the whole setup a bit...

but as said 4x24' + 30' is pretty big but still manageable.

cheers

#18     Aug 6, 2010
  9. It all depends on the setup you really want, ultimately. I actually have one of their 31 stations. 4 24" monitors in a 1 over 3 wide configuration. I got this because it is easy to move to a 6 if I ever wanted. Just 2 more monitors and a horizontal bar on top.

Remember - it does not matter how big your monitors are, it is all about the resolution of the monitors, well unless you want the images bigger. The higher the resolution, the smaller the text. for us old guys, bigger is always better. If you have a 60" plasma - well again, all about the resolution the cards can support.

Yes, you can build your own cheaper (if you can/want to) or find a local guy to help you out - but it is nice to call someone who can speak 'English & non-tech', login to the system and fix your problem when, and if you have one... my feeling... but... what ever...

1 good swing day - it is a small price and you will never look back - but the reliably system always wins

#19     Aug 6, 2010
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

I like to reply to everyone individually. Will do so Saturday.

Gotta love Sons in HS football getting finished with practice at 10:00pm, dressed and finally done socializing by 10:40, etc., Long day! Lol

Btw, here's a clip of the expensive stuff falcon makes that a friend who trades ag futures sent me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rq_sKyFKOE&feature=related

I replied back letting him know I can get together basically what he has for about 1/3 of the cost with the help of you guys here.:)

Thanks for the help thus far! This is like trying to spec out a house with my computer "knowledge" alone.

#20     Aug 7, 2010