Six 22" monitor setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LEAPup, Aug 6, 2010.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

2. 6 x 22" is a lot of screen space... doubt one could cover that with 2 monitors... maybe 4 x 24"?? (Some 24" can still be found at 1920x1200 resolution... you'll probably like that much better than the 1650x1080 of the 22".)

That price... plus $99 for W7.

Realistically...

4 x 24" monitors, $800-$1200

If you must have monitor stand, maybe $650, max

Proper trading computer... $900-$1200.

Those turnkey trading setups are always waaayyyyy overpriced. They count on users who don't know much about computers to pay up for a "trading" computer.

3. I agree with Scataphagos that these "trading" computers made by EMC or XView or the likes tend to be priced much higher than what you can get if you build it yourself. Of course, that's their profit margin. Usually about 40% from what I estimated.

I recently built a similar box to drive 8 monitors.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=195662

The box, about $1200:
    - Chassis
    - i7-930 processor
    - 6GB memory
    - 1TB disk drive
    - DVD RW
    - 600W power supply
    - (Exclusing keyboard and mouse, but those are trivial)

Display cards: PNY Tech 8400 GS, dual head each x3: 3 x $60 = $180

Win7: maybe $100

Samsung 22" monitors, about $200 each. 6 x $200 = $1200

Monitor stand... if you want to be nice and neat: maybe $500, my estimate.

Added together: $3180 total

EMC price $4497

Building your own computer is not for everyone. Others said that you don't have warranty and all that. True. But these are all off-the-shelf components that you can pick up at Fry's or other similar electronic stores. Faulty components? Just return or swap it out when broken. It could be a fun project if you have a teenage kid who is interested in computers. Building a computer from components is much easier these days.

Hey... one trade you get it back.

Or... that was easy. Treat yourself and your spouse/kids to Morton for a steak dinner for a job well done. Multiple times!

The choice is yours.

4. Picaso

Picaso

You can get two large 30" for about 2,000-2,500 and need no special monitor stand (but keep in mind you'll probably need two DVI's per monitor; i.e. two dual cards or one quad).

I got three 24/25" hp02 2408h (with the "taller" 1920 x 1200 resolution) and am very happy with this setup (this would cost you about 400 USD per monitor, if you still find them - now it seems they're all 1920 x 1080).

Mine are similar to this (good price, imv):

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...ow=1&a1=Screen+size&v1=27&catLevel=2#bcAnchor

5. LEAPup

LEAPup

Thanks bro! I appreciate it!

I'm wanting something better than what I'm using. Just hate to make the change, but need to make the change. One of those things... I've got a "computer guru" Client who says he can set everything up if I put the list together. just wanting to know what to order. I'm far from an expert in computers. Old dog I guess. Lol!

6. LEAPup

LEAPup

Thank you very much bro! I look forward to the change, even though I don't like change much.:eek: :D

7. LEAPup

LEAPup

1920x1200 would be great! Two 30" monitors... Never thought about that.

8. to drive 6 monitors you'll need a motherboard with at LEAST three PCI-e X 16 slots available just for the dual-vid cards. good luck with that. :D

9. try geeks.com

they usually have some unreal deals

that is definitely overpriced

10. LEAPup

LEAPup

Most "trading computer" sites seem to be 300% more $ than what I see you guys building them for. I'll try geeks.com
    Thanks!

#10     Aug 6, 2010