Sitting all day is DEADLY

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by IanMacQuaide, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Got to be quiet down a bit. Donald Rumfield only stands in front of is desk, he lost his job. :D

#11     Apr 11, 2011
  2. pupu

pupu

#12     Apr 11, 2011
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Richest man of his peers?

#13     Apr 11, 2011
  4. BwPirt

BwPirt

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

No dimwit, DEAD!

And how many times you going to avoid this question?

Are you still running your paper trading journal? You know the one that was down over 100 ES points on a single trade at one time.

#15     Apr 11, 2011
  6. what is the relationship between standing all day and risk of varicose veins?

#16     Apr 11, 2011
  7. The varicose vein vs standing is a bit of a myth. Although you can find lots of recommendations not to stand for long periods as it may cause varicose veins it is largely wrong:

- v veins are mainly caused by valve failure
    - they mainly affect women so men are safer anyway (and most traders are men)
    - the research says that standing doesn't cause v veins
    - however the recommendation that people who already have them don't stand still for long periods of time seems reasonable as once the valves have gone gravity is that vein's enemy.

http://www.veins.co.uk/new_myths_about_vv_standing.htm
    http://www.pgeverydaysolutions.com/...th-standing-too-much-can-cause-varicose-veins

but the doctors are fuzzy on it so you'll likely still see a lot of "don't stand still for long periods of time because it "may" cause varicose veins" around.

What is clear though is that more exercise resulting in better leg muscles and venous return from muscular action is a good thing. Personally I think I favour getting up a lot and moving around or perhaps a treadmill rather than just a standing position.

Most of us would benefit enough from the improved blood serum, increase calories burned, and slight increase in fitness caused by more standing much much more than the small risk to our veins.

#17     Apr 12, 2011
  8. My day job is a draftsperson. I sit on a stool with a backrest that I bought at Costco for $100 shipped to my door, and I have two 23" monitors on an Ikea Jerker desk (think they stopped making this model) with an elevation of the desk set to about belly button height when standing.

For many simple tasks I stand and do them.. And I usually stand to keep awake if I get drowsy.

I recall reading a european study saying that standing parts of the day can add 30 minutes productivity to your work each day.

#18     Apr 12, 2011
  9. In case you are interested in facts here is a link to the original article:

http://www.ergotron.com/portals/0/literature/other/english/ACSM_SittingTime.pdf

(Note also which company is making the article publically available.)

It's part of my job to critically read scientific articles.
    Therefore I couldn't help notice these points:

- Looking at table 3 (page 1002) it can be said that the most healthy condition appears to be sitting 1/4 of time (risk 0.85 whereas risk 1.0 when not sitting at all for men, all-cause).

- The risk for non CVD non cancer deaths is elevated also very strongly in "sitting almost all the time" (2.44) which might be a hint that other (unknown) factors might play a role.

- There is no data on what professions people were following.

Since there is no data about jobs in the article it comes to my mind that this sample might have included just all people regardless of job.
    Therefore the "sitting status" might have be confounded by other conditions like paralyzed people (who are forced to stay sitting all the time) or people who are just to weak to walk around.

#19     Apr 12, 2011
  10. jfranco

jfranco

im sitting down reading this

#20     Apr 12, 2011