Site Problems this Morning.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Baron, Feb 4, 2013.

1. zdreg

zdreg

exactly my point. why start a public discussion?

#21     Feb 4, 2013
  2. In the new site, on the Forums page, I was lost without the threads list that now exists for all forums, but appears to be absent in the new design. The summary only shows the most recent post in each forum, which is not enough. (The recent posts list on the home page will not be enough either because it is limited in size and I do not visit often enough for it to cover posts I missed since last visit).

Without the fuller lists on the forums page, the only way to see recent posts in each forum is to go into each individual forum one by one, which is too time-consuming.

Now, I did notice that there was an RSS thread list link for each forum but I could not figure out how to use it. I guess you are supposed to use an RSS reader?

#22     Feb 4, 2013
  3. zdreg

zdreg

you are enabling cabals with private threads.

"if it ain't broke don't fix it."

#23     Feb 4, 2013
  4. If what we now see as threads can become private then I would say it is not a good idea.

If on the other hand what some complain is chit chat on threads moves to the private space then those who complain would be pleased.

Would people consider that discussion in the public space is generally better for this forum, or would more stuff go private over time?

#24     Feb 4, 2013
  5. gmst

gmst

Good point zdreg! I strongly concur.

Baron - this feature will kill ET. Re think it.

What will happen overtime is that like minded people with interest in one particular domain will start a private PM and others will never have an idea of all the good stuff. Forums will get primarily used by vendors who want to lure newbies.

E.g.
    1) Consider lescor journal from 2010. Maybe next time, he will just do a private invite only journal with 8 of his profitable buddy traders. This feature will destroy the quality of ET posts.

2) Consider some discussion on programming or TA. Like minded guys who like TA will set up their private PM group/private forum, guys who are more of statistical bent will never see what others are discussing. Collateral Learning that happens now from reading differing approaches in ET will diminish largely.

Another side effect will be flame wars will become more intense. Setting up Private PM is like setting up fraternities and sororities. Private PM buddies will attack simultaneously the threads/posts/posters whom they do no agree with. ET will become a big clusterfuck with this feature.

#25     Feb 5, 2013
  6. As one who is naturally curious and happy to learn about all aspects of trading, I must say this is my biggest concern.

#26     Feb 5, 2013
  7. mark_mm

mark_mm

Yes, because Elite Trader is the only place on the internet you can discuss trading. If Lescor wanted to setup a private journal we would have, you do him a disservice, he wanted to share it. If people want to create private communities then they will whether its here or somewhere else.

#27     Feb 5, 2013
  8. You are 100% correct. Very insightful and prescient on your part. Private rooms is the end of elite. The value is in collaboration-- there's no value to read a site with all the good stuff in private rooms. Even the thought of non transparency makes me want to cease contributing. I met with Baron the other day on Palm Beach-- at first I thought it was a good idea, but now, with your perspective, I have changed my mind completely opposite.

In just happy I was able to gain great value from this site before the change. Anyone can set up a blog and be private--- ET is a community, no gates here.

Baron, rethink the idea.

surf

#28     Feb 5, 2013
  9. gmst

gmst

I also initially thought it is a great idea, but now I have the perspective that it is an idea that will kill ET.

#29     Feb 5, 2013
  10. themickey

themickey

Would it be a good idea to have a feature to prevent someone posting on your thread if they are serial poluters? eg warn the poster first then block them from posting just on your thread if they continue to be a pest.

#30     Feb 5, 2013