Sit on Hands, when risk per trade is too big?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by SimpleMeLike, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Hello,

Per my risk management rules so far, I can only risk max $200 per trade trading the CL, however today, the setups are clear, but the risk far exceeds my risk tolerance rules. I missed alot of good money by not increasing my risk to like $300. So, I just pass on the trade. But its pretty tempting to not jump in and take the increasing my risk just for today, but I will be pissed starring at the big loss afterwards. And this leads to other mistakes and emotional bad day.

Is this the part of risk management trading, I often read and hear about regarding protecting capital, if the risk too big, I have two choices decrease position size, or sit on hands?

If so, at least I know I am doing the right thing.

Thank you,

2. Unless you're the kind of guy willing to "risk it all on red or black", then yes.

KCalhoun and SimpleMeLike like this.
  3. Thanks Scataphagos,

No I am not that guy. I do not want/need to risk it all.

4. If you'd be mad about losing $300 (but are ok losing $200), stay at $200. Every risk management strategy will miss some trades that could have been winners.

SimpleMeLike likes this.
  5. Thanks zoned_post_meridiem,

Just making sure I was on the right track by getting other traders opinion on the risk management, which is something I am trying to get much better with.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is where discipline in trading comes in at. Doing the right thing per the risk rules.

6. I know the opportunity seems juicy... but you don't have to make money today. What you need to do is to not lose a lot today (or any day).. and this environment is ripe with the opportunity to lose big.... or win big. Like I said, "red or black".

(My preferred play has always been to take a big position... so that if I get it right, I make a good amount... but only when I can control the risk. That's what TA is all about. With this volatility, there is no/little "risk control" other than hope... which seems to have a way of not showing up when you need it most. JMV)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    KCalhoun and SimpleMeLike like this.
  7. Thanks Scataphagos,

You right! And I know myself. If i take the position of a risk outside my tolerance, I will go into emotional let's get it back, bang the desk, the strategy do not work, why i did that, fill in the mistake column of the journal, another stupid mistake, now lets go rush into another trade roller coaster. Next thing you know its 1pm and I am starring at over trading of nearly 13 trades and some big losses.

It all looks juicy.

8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

It only looks juicy if you have a discipline problem.

Sure, there's chaos because of Corona-Virus, Yield lows never seen before plus the Oil problem after OPEC deal failure...it all looks juicy.

This isn't a Zombie apocalypse. :D

wrbtrader

9. ironchef

ironchef

Uncle Buffett:

1. Be greedy when others are fearful.

2. You wait for a fat pitch, when it comes, don't bunt.

But easier said than done. If you can do that, you belong to the 0.1%. :banghead:

10. DevBru

DevBru

If the current market conditions don't fit with your strategy and risk management, just stay out ...

Investing/trading is not only about the money you make but also about the money you don't lose.

#10     Mar 9, 2020
    Scataphagos and SimpleMeLike like this.