Sirius XM Prepares Bankruptcy Filing

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by ByLoSellHi, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Good riddance. Pay radio is a joke in the age of the internet.

Karmizan just a carnival barker. He tried to get Cramer to pump his garbage.

Another Cramer disaster.

And I hope Stern kept all his shares.

He'll need them to wipe his large @#$

#11     Feb 11, 2009
  2. What channels do you listen to? I listen to coffee house, spectrum, and a few different rock stations and honestly there are very few if any commercials.

Howard does have commercials..mostly b/c he needs to take breaks.

And I've been listening to Howard for 20yrs and still enjoy it everyday.

#12     Feb 11, 2009
  3. Frankly, I listen to the Sinatra channel in my truck. I find it very relaxing. :D

#13     Feb 11, 2009
  4. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

#14     Feb 11, 2009
  5. There are a finite number of people and finite number of hours in a day. We have way more media than can ever be consumed.

Cable television has gotten away with bundling for years which blackmails people into to paying for media that they have no desire to consume let alone the time to consume.

Obviously, people are willing to be blackmailed because they view cable television as a necessity.

Satellite radio never attained that level of need that cable television has. Besides satellite radio has lots of free competition, no as much competition for those in a car, but satellite radio has too much competition to ever gain much demand for use in the home.

#15     Feb 12, 2009
  6. MGJ

MGJ

When you call to cancel your subscription, they follow a script. Surprise, it features huge discounts if you'll change your mind and remain a subscriber. However the script is understandably weak in the "Overcoming Customer Objections to Commercials" department. Ask them if they'll ever remove all commercials from all channels. (Answer: we have this huge discount if you'll sign up Right Now.) Or do what I did: say you'll cancel now but invite them to call you back as soon as all commercials are eliminated from all channels, you'll be happy to re-subscribe then. I would be delighted to pay for a satellite radio service, just not the one you're selling today. The script doesn't know how to reply.

#16     Feb 13, 2009
  7. mtt

mtt

Yeah, I agree. I think that they will have a hard time getting out of this. New things like Shoutcast, Mogulus, and Ustream are gaining more acceptance and they are free. Also, more applications are being developed on the iPhone to stream content too.

The whole satellite business is risky. As fiber optic and wireless providers grow, I think satellite providers will have to market to the countryside or developing countries to survive. There will only be a minority of people in developed countries that will use this service.

#17     Feb 14, 2009
  8. This is a great post.

#18     Feb 14, 2009