Sir Elliot Spitzer, NYS Atty General

Discussion in 'Trading' started by limitdown, Dec 18, 2003.

1. gaj

gaj

kc - well, all i know is that he's gone after people i've wanted him to go after (including *outside* of wall st, totally unrelated to the stock market). and no one else has. that's why i like him.

i don't like cramer, and i've read his book quite thoroughly. so i do know the problems that are obvious from reading the book.

so, i'll ask the question again, with no rhetoric or hidden agenda...

who are three people who have been doing more (than spitzer) to stop some of the criminals on wall st?

#21     Dec 29, 2003
  2. kc11415

kc11415

gaj,

Implicit in your reasoning is that unless people take the thread in a direction you insist, then they must not continue parts of the thread running counter to your wishes.

Also implicit in your reasoning is that if someone does some good then his faults should be overlooked. However, that is a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact. Everyone is entitled to their own opnion on that point, yourself included.

In keeping with generously giving the benefit of the doubt, would you say that Spitzer showed such generosity when violating state ethics rules in threatening criminal action against ML in order to force a civil settlement?

Most importantly, the best way to avoid sanctions from Spitzer is not to keep one's nose clean, but merely to contribute to his campaign. This particular Eliot is no "Untouchable." In that respect, he is an honorable politician, if your definition is that an honorable politician stays bought :)

JPM loaned Spitzer about $9M, which in hindsight, was a relative bargain compared to what ML paid. That was worthwhile insurance with a splendid ROI, and had the added bonus of keeping JPM's competitors busy with legal proceedings.

In contrast, good luck trying to get NYS OAG to enforce NYS consumer protection laws for which they are responsible. When's the last time you tried to stop by a NYS OAG office to get help with laws for which they are responsible for enforcing? They don't even want to give you the time of day. Their automatic first answer, once you can even get to talk to someone, is that they can't be bothered to serve as people's attorneys in civil litigation, regardless of whether that is relevant for the case at hand. If they can't get a headline out of pursuing lawbreakers, they are not interested.

These may be less interesting than the high-profile Wall St. cases, but Spitzer seems to forget that state attorney general's are supposed to also handle the mundane commerce law violations, instead of siphoning resources off to playing a pseudo-SEC role. Spitzer may be doing some impressive things with his office, but unfortunately he is neglecting the things for which he was elected. Rather than continuing to tell the SEC how to do its job, Spitzer better remember how to do his own job.

So, gaj, perhaps you might counter with some successful first-hand experience you've had in working with the NYS OAG ?

#22     Dec 29, 2003
  3. gaj

gaj

kc - nothing implicit. people knock spitzer for his sanctioning of wall st people, all i asked was for people who've done more.

very straightforward. nothing hidden. no questions about *other* actions.

if you can't give answer *my* question, please don't respond to my queries. hopefully someone else can. thanks.

#23     Dec 29, 2003
  4. gaj

gaj

and since you asked, and i DO know one of the answers...

miss cleo, monsterhut / beaverhome, new york's do-not-call list.

i'll let you do the research on those.

#24     Dec 29, 2003
  5. excellent comment.....

can't even name -1 people, let alone 1 person, and certainly can't name the SEC

can you imagine that those guys were actually blocking Spitzer and other states' attorney generals?

#25     Dec 30, 2003