Single large monitor - practical?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sle, Mar 12, 2017.

1. sle

sle

A couple manufacturers are offering these giant monitors now (all the way up to 62", I think). Has anyone tried working with one that big? Is it better that say 2-3 smaller ones?

2. xandman

xandman

Much talked about. 2 years of tire kicking for me, now. Consider this:

1) The convenience of clicking the maximize button for an application without having to tile different windows. Think carpal tunnel. I like to leave certain apps un-bothered by all the user multitasking. Don't you miss windows 3.1 Tile All command?

2) And, portrait oriented monitors may get you featured on Modern Trader mag. Free advertising.

3) Finally, I think smaller monitors will be easier to organize in your Trading Vanagon/Tiny house. Modularity.

I suspect the guy who endorses 40" plus switches to Xbox after market close. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Turveyd likes this.
  3. Turveyd

Turveyd

Stick to multi screens reasons ...

1 res even at 4k will be to low.
    2 you'll find you waste a lot of time organising windows, rather than full screen with its own screen.
    3. Unless its very curved the angle at the sides wont be readable, you can angle the side screens.

4. Turveyd

Turveyd

2. Height is more important for charts than width, I'd give 3 portrait screens a go, mine arent wide screen for this reason.

S-Trader and xandman like this.
  5. xandman

xandman

I think it has a more natural read even for spreadsheets. I hate tables printed in landscape. We should have never left the old screen ratio. A 19" looks yuge.

Turveyd likes this.
  6. Turveyd

Turveyd

I've gotva 23inch middle slightly wide screen and 2 19s either side, 1 popped recently ebay £10 for a replacement only wide screen new.

Should get a few spares really, before there obselete totally.

7. A single one - the bigge - the better and without indicators should be good.

8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I use a 34" curved LG and I like it a lot. To me it's not really about the size of the single monitor, it's about how your screen is laid out. No matter how big your monitor is, or how many monitors you have, you need to ensure that the majority of what you look at most often resides in the middle portion of the screen, with the things you only glance at occasionally sitting on the outer edges. Otherwise, your eyes are neck are just constantly moving all over the place which can get tiresome and even painful after a while.

9. For some the size for others the resolution for better visual percpetion and when subtle things happen.For me both, the resolution and size matters.

10. sle

sle

Do you find that resolution is good enough? Do you play X-box after the close? :p

#10     Mar 12, 2017