Simultaneous, Redundant Internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bouncy, Jun 15, 2006.

1. bouncy

bouncy

I am about to move and am setting up my trading station and internet at my new place. I will connect via one DSL line and one Cable line.

As it is now, if my Cable goes out then I switch and connect via DSL - but to reconnect to my vpn and reload my data/quotes takes a while. I lose valuable time and assume more risk than I'd like.

I am wondering if it's possible to be connected to the internet via both lines "simultaneously", in order to avoid the downtime lag when I switch connections.

Is there hardware out there that solves this issue?

2. No because your datafeed / broker is tied to an IP address that it can "see". When the connection "drops" on one line then it needs to "reconnect" through the other line.

You do not need hardware, it can be done through software when you use a telephone modem and ADSL / Cable. But it will still drop the datastream while the software is rerouting.
    www.wingate.co.nz

Please let me know if you come accross a working solution, am having heaps of problems as of late with our local Telco who is being forced to "unbundle" their local copper network: they were having a stronghold on the prices and hicking these up unnecessary. But since it became "unbundled" the line is up and down like a yo-yo. From dad's notes I get the impression that it is even worse than that he experienced in third world countries. "progress?" :eek:

Maria