Simulated vs Live Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Junky, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Xela

Xela

All the greatest aphorisms, like Zen koans, are ambiguous and open to interpretation. [​IMG]

#11     Jan 26, 2018
    trader99 and volpri like this.
  2. Show me a pro baseball player who doesn't do it.
    That's your homework for the weekend! Figure it out and you'll be a better trader come Monday!

#12     Jan 26, 2018
  3. rb7

rb7

Making money in sim is not a guarantee that you'll make money in real.
    Losing money in sim is a guarantee that you'll losing money in real.

But like already said, try it and you'll see if it worths something for you.
    For me, I wouldn't go live with a new model/strategy without at least 3 months of real-time sim.

#13     Jan 26, 2018
  4. Different people learn different ways
    I never officially, technically, paper traded, per se.

But rather just simply watched the market every day in my mind for like four years
    Making loose mental notes, to buy here...and sell here, in real-time.
    And review those mental notes in hindsight as well after the market closes.

At the very least, you have to obviously make sure your method and skill semi-works....before jumping in live.
    Either through official paper trading, or just monitoring and studying the market and your method in your mind.

It's not enough to trade just based on simple past and present technicals on the surface;
    You have to understand or semi-understand, based on what you think, are the triggering potential variables...on why it moves, the way it chooses to move.

Trading is truly a magical feeling...when you're able to essentially...predict and/or trade and manage the future correctly, o_O
    You feel like Neo, or Morpheus, or even God.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    #14     Jan 26, 2018
    Junky likes this.
  5. qxr1011

qxr1011

that saying means that the "great trader" never traded his own money for living and never developed a single working strategy

#15     Jan 26, 2018
    Van_der_Voort_4 likes this.
  6. volpri

volpri

ROFLMAO one way to look at it.......

#16     Jan 26, 2018
  7. volpri

volpri

I’m a slow learner. May take more than a weekend. LOL

#17     Jan 26, 2018
  8. pk3r1234

pk3r1234

All I can say is make sure your sim is realistic like the IB one, it gouges you on everything like the real market. Thinkorswim has a paper trader and it's definitely not the same

#18     Jan 26, 2018
    rb7 likes this.
  9. comagnum

comagnum

SIM trading is cool as long as you play this sound track when in SIM mode.

#19     Jan 26, 2018
  10. John9999

John9999

I will wait to see you very soon. I was astronomical more successful in simulation than then when I I put real money at stake. I’m sure every single trader has experienced the same time. There’s nothing that can replace real life experience of having real money at stake

#20     Jan 26, 2018