Simple Technical Analysis Volume Study Survey

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AMT4SWA, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Is that the Ensign web site?

I've been curious about market delta, just didn't want to spend a bunch.

#11     Oct 30, 2008
  2. Cumulative Volume Delta at TT on their charting platform is pretty sweet. It gives me a similar feel as in the pit as you can quickly tell if the market has been buying or selling aggressively....

#12     Oct 30, 2008
  3. Does market delta have this option of candlestick form of the CD. If not, looks like im going to have to sign up again for Linnsoft.

On a side note, where would be the best places to learn CD. I know IOAMT's website is a good place to learn but I havent found many other places. Steenberger's website uses MD/CD and also seems helpful. Besides these 2, has anyone found other places to really learn MD/CD?

Using MD in conjunction with auction market theory(initiative/responsive players) makes sense.

It seems from the survey that this stuff really isn't mainstream yet....maybe thats why I haven't found many great places that are good resources for learning....or maybe i have to look harder. :p

#13     Oct 30, 2008
  4. As a heads up....the cvd study pane shown is not computing the proper readings for cumulative delta for that day/time.......something is "off" there. Are you filtering your CD study in any way?

#14     Oct 30, 2008
  5. marketdelta and Investor RT both have the capability to show the CD as candlesticks....you have that as an option.

There is NO one that I know of who is properly teaching how to utilize the CD info. I self-taught myself with tons of screen time and backtesting of ideas.

#15     Oct 30, 2008
  6. There's no filtering on and I've used CVD since it's release. I have great confidence in it. Why do you question the readout?

#16     Oct 30, 2008
  7. There are sevaral time hacks that seem very "off" but the big one is just before 07:30 from your chart image. You will see price made a very strong up move at that time, but your CVD during that same time is showing a down trending period of bid/ask volume differential??? That is not how the cumulative delta plotted at that time.....the cumulative delta was actually uptrending for most of that upward price movement......hhmmm.

I will have to check out the programming TT is using for their CVD calculations.

#17     Oct 30, 2008
  8. Check out the time period that starts just prior to 07:30 ...... price with strong uptrend while cvd is declining..............

#18     Oct 30, 2008
  9. I understand your point, but without giving away too much of my proprietary trading methods, I use CVD as a source of confirmation. In the period prior to the 7:30 rally, CVD was still positive, but trending lower. that indicates an exhaustion of the move and is a precursor to a reversal. You'll see that same thing in the chart attached where ES made a triple top but CVD set a series of lower highs. A more common study used for these failure are oscillators like Stohs and RSI. I've included stohs on the attached...

#19     Oct 31, 2008
  10. Just so you know.....your current cvd plot just above is very very close to mine. The previous plot from the other page is very very different, and my settings are the same used for comparison (so I still think there was something not computing corectly in your first image in this thread...oh, well :) ).

I use CD as my primary entry signal criteria and find it creates a very unique edge when analyzing price action.

#20     Nov 3, 2008