Simple strategy, big profit potential?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by cashmoney69, Apr 12, 2006.

1. I have two simple strategies that I want you guys to comment on.

1. Buy and sell based on news.

buy when:
    * A new product or service is going to be released and is highly anticipated. (Windows on the Mac...stock went up 8+ points in two days!).

* A better ceo takes over the company

* A company is coming out of bankruptcy

* Mergers

* Lower interest rates

* lower cost of oil

ect....

Sell when:

* lawsuits
    * Poor CEO's and management
    * faulty products/services
    * When employees strike
    * higher cost of oil
    * higher interest rates

ect...

strategy 2

trade a stock based on earning reports

* short when earnings are lower than estimated
    * buy when earnings are = or above estimates.

- Nate

2. Translation-----------Do something based upon rumor and then reverse upon the confirmation of the expectation? Most of the time, your "strategy" should be wrong when you buy based upon bullishly-construed news and vice versa with bad news. Oil prices are at record highs and yet the overall market is at ~5-year highs. You would have been crushed being "short" one or the other. Your "strategy" can work on a shorter-term basis but you still have to limit losses and decide which news items are relevant among all of the BS that passes for news today.

3. i ve been doin' exactly da same for ages'n' never felt da urge or need to change me strategy...if u good at it returns can be above those who don't trade news imo...u only need to look at da vols'n'ranges of those issues affected by news to get a grip on it.

4. How about selling when your stop loss is hit instead of all those other indicators you mentioned?

5. that would be mandatory if u wish to survive never mind make money