Simple starter Python programming or something off the shelf?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by yosuji198, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Old analog geezer trapped in a digital world.Tried google but came up blank; what is OIMMBCTTA in English? Thanks - Lou

#11     Feb 25, 2020
    tommcginnis likes this.
  2. themickey

themickey

Can anyone be an 'expert trader' without reasonable coding experience/skills?
    I have my doubts.

#12     Feb 25, 2020
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

You don't remember non-convex (flat) side-view mirrors??
    And then, all the accidents with the "wide angle!" convex mirrors??
    And then,..... "Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear."

:D

Jeeez. That aged me a few years just writing that.:rolleyes:

#13     Feb 25, 2020
    congrats likes this.
  4. SteveH

SteveH

Most people here like Python for the pandas / numpy support, brevity of syntax, plethora of libraries it has and not having to go through a compile/link process during software creation. You'll understand the value of adding type hints to your Python code though after you've worked with it for awhile. But let's be honest: the GIL (global interpreter lock) is a very bad thing when everyone in trading these days has 4-16 hardware threads of execution available for work and Python cannot run them at the same time.

However, if anything you do has to do with concurrency and/or parallel computing though then using either Erlang/OTP with Elixir or Clojure will provide better levels of software integrity as you scale up.

Yeah, go ahead towards Python. It fits in no time like an old shoe and will serve you well in the beginning to get your thoughts organized. But read-up on Elixir / Clojure in your spare moments and a whole new world of computability will open up to you.

#14     Feb 25, 2020
    congrats and yosuji198 like this.
  5. traider

traider

What is the best book on Clojure? Isn't Haskell ideal for pure parallelism/ functional?

#15     Feb 25, 2020
  6. yosuji198

yosuji198

You could - with decision trees made in Excel, and fast fingers to put in your trades. Problem is, it's tough to do that while holding down a full time job, and sitting in meetings :vomit:

#16     Feb 25, 2020
  7. themickey

themickey

Trouble with excel, it struggles with too much data.
    I'm not sure if googlefinance BiqQuery would aleviate that problem.....?

#17     Feb 25, 2020
  8. yosuji198

yosuji198

Honestly guys, I'm thinking of building my code in EasyLanguage with Multicharts. Python seems like too much work. I'd rather have a stand-alone system where I don't have to worry about also picking external resources like libraries?, Elixir?, pandas / numpy?, Cojur? or whatever.

I'm used to VBA where you don't need anything outside of Excel to do basic programming in Excel.
    I thought about using DDE/ActiveX for Excel - just doesn't seem to be much online support on YouTube, Codecademy or anywhere (and I hear they suck).

Correct me if i'm wrong but EasyLanguage seems to be the easiest way for a noob like myself to build an automated trading system with simple code

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    #18     Feb 26, 2020