Simple, Highly Profitable & Safe... Strangle-to-Collar

Discussion in 'Options' started by jones247, Feb 12, 2008.

1. I appreciate your advice and encouragement... I will begin the implementation of this strategy and periodically report on it's status...

Walt

#31     Feb 14, 2008
  2. Great!

#32     Feb 14, 2008
  3. Walt,

You may have checked this thread http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117842&perpage=6&pagenumber=1

If you did not, I suggest you do. Read for instance some responses from Atticus to straddle writing. People in general try to get away from pin risk. Atticus went the opposite way. A fund took his idea and make a money machine with it. The morale of the story I think is related to what I said earlier: challenge everything even the most accepted traditions! So pin "risk" might in fact be pin "reward"

#33     Feb 14, 2008
  4. You have to look at the whole picture and not compare apples to oranges in regards to how you want the stock to move if you are short or long options.

Another good post to read:
    Don't believe in option exp pinning?
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114482&perpage=6&highlight=pin&pagenumber=1

#34     Feb 15, 2008
  5. Thanks for the reference; however, I posted my confusion about such a tactic on that thread. Hopefully, someone can demonstrate the profitability of such a system.

Walt

#35     Feb 17, 2008
  6. I'm not in a position to demonstrate the profitability of the system. The method earns via a dispersion model in which component vols exceed index. Position are taken on a strike touch. I can't comment on the hedging. Pinning is best case, but it's not a model assumption. Initial transaction neutrality is a model condition.

#36     Feb 17, 2008
  7. Atticus......why are you posting on ET? You are showing a poor example to all your supporters of the ET boycott.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117554

#37     Feb 17, 2008
  8. giobbe

giobbe

hello,
    this thread is very interessant, tks to everybody and particurarly tks to walt and riskfreetrading. tks for your contribution....
    i'm a partime futurestrader (not a good one.....fortunately i've a solid work alternative to trading.....) since many years, i tested with very little result almost everything with easylanguage in order to find a solid strategy to automate....but for me nothing works. indicators, averages, divergences, bollinger, fibonacci, eliot, spreads, ross, etc. ..... never found a strategy with a solid, good profit factor...(the only very good pattern and strategy in my opinion is the ross hook.....but needs a good trader...).
    with options i'm a newbe but i'm very interested in OPTIONS SELLING. I've read the libertytrading book (james cordier) about option selling and i think they're right. i know what everyone says about option selling and about the "risk" on naked options. I'm convinced that the best strategy on SP500 would be the one described in this post by james cordier (the strategy used by cordier works on commodities and only a few trades on sp 500...): please read the post....
    http://www.libertytradinggroup.com/market-commentary.html#article

i'm not able to find the error in cordier strategy, probably why i'm a newbe, but it seems to be all very simple.
    I'd like to open an account with libertytrading group and if everyone has an experience with those guys or something to say on my post and on libertytrading strategies, it will be very appreciated.
    Walt is right, liberty trading sell naked options (very OTM) but only on commodities after a fundamental analisys. On sp they sell covered calls or covered strangles (very OTM options) using a part of premiums in order to edge the position (credit spreads). In this cases (with covered positions) where is the risk (a little loss ok....but no more of a little loss i think....)??
    where is the error? am i blind? perhaps the problem would be with "pin risk" (every strategy has a stoploss, cordier exit at double, and i think i'ts possible exit the options without going to expiration....and to pin risk...)
    tks in advance for your replies but please read before james cordier commentary......

michele

#38     Feb 18, 2008
  9. If there was a tactic out there that produces 0 to 20% profit (which means no loss risk) the whole investment universe would collapse. Your idea can't exist. Its like a perpetuum mobile. The chance on gaining 20%/month with the risk of going b/e??? Oh my god. Guys: Think logically.

#39     Feb 21, 2008