Simple Charting for Beginners

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by trader59, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Hmm... it does not look very complicated :))
    I will consider adding this feature.

#21     Jan 29, 2004
  2. hanpep

hanpep

What about Track and Trade Pro by Gecko?

I've looked at AmiBroker but backed away from it, it seems hard to me to understand. I think it could benefit greatly if a good very detailed user manual were written by an active trader, not a programmer necessarily.

I'm new to trading software but not new to trading futures.

#22     Jan 29, 2004
  3. hanpep

hanpep

What about Track and Trade Pro by Gecko?

I've looked at AmiBroker but backed away from it, it seems hard to me to understand. I think it could benefit greatly if a good very detailed user manual were written by an active trader, not a programmer necessarily.

I'm new to trading software but not new to trading futures.

Anyone out there??? HELLO

#23     Jan 31, 2004
  4. Apart from being programmer I am a trader too...
    As for 'hard to understand' ... every software has its learning curve. "Easy" programs are usually very limited and you will outgrow them in a month. You won't outgrow AmiBroker, that's for sure. If you wish to get more info from hundreds of active traders using AmiBroker in everyday trading you may take a look at the mailing list http://www.egroups.com/messages/amibroker/
    BTW: Feb 5-7th there is an AmiBroker school/workshop in Clearwater, Florida

#24     Jan 31, 2004
  5. hanpep

hanpep

Thomasz,

I tried last night and again today but ran into problems. I tried to change the color of a trendline I drew, from yellow to black but I couldn't. When I changed the color in 'Preferences' and hit 'Apply', nada, nothing happpened! Then I realized I could not figure out how to delete the trendline either. And there was nothing in the Help section to help. You see why I get frustrated?

On top of that everything goes away when I log off so I have to figure out each new time what I did last time to even get to where I was before. If I were not totally new to charting software it might be different. I think.

So how does one erase a trendline? Or change its color?

Thanks,
    Hank

#25     Feb 1, 2004
  6. Boomer

Boomer

i was looking for a cheaper charting package to start in the emini's with. i found nextrend.com. i was real impressed. it was 55 total with real time cme, cbot and stock data. just an idea...

#26     Feb 1, 2004
  7. Hank,

This is easier than you think. Just click once on the trend line and press "DELETE" key. To change the color just click once on the trend line and choose another color from the toolbar.

By the way everything is covered in DETAIL in the Help.
    Specifically there is a TUTORIAL for beginners that you should read. Part of the tutorial that is devoted to charting:
    http://www.amibroker.com/guide/h_charting.html

There are also video tutorials available at:
    http://www.amibroker.com/support.html

Please note that I visit this Elitetrader forum rarely. To get support contact either support at amibroker.com, or write to AmiBroker mailing list http://www.egroups.com/messages/amibroker/

#27     Feb 1, 2004
  8. You might get about the same if not more with Amigocharts. They are cheaper than nextrend if used with the IB data feed and a backfill from livecharts.com. I guess the total is $40 or so. And then again you have Sierrachart with SCMagic (backfill), about $20 a month.

I would suggest to Tomasz of the Amibroker fame to get the SCMagic backfill for AMibroker and then Amibroker would be only about $10 per month with a one-time payment of $200 for the RT version of the software. In the long run, that might be the best deal for those trading via IB.

#28     Feb 1, 2004
  9. You may wish to take a look at Tahoe Charts. This is currently a third party application that works with the eSignal data feed. This is a good place to start if you are starting to get involved with online charting packages. Please let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.tahoecharts.com

Regards,

Duane
    eSignal Community Support

#29     Feb 2, 2004
  10. hanpep

hanpep

For what I'm interested in, it looks like it costs a fortune just for exchange fees. CME - $33; CBOT - $38; NYBOT - $97; COMEX - $63; NYMEX - $63, THAT'S $294/Month just for US futures exchange fees let alone a data package.

Since I'm new to using any charting programs, I figure I'll need several months just getting familiar with any software package and also get a feel for the data coming in across the screen too. That's like $1,800 before the data is even useful to me in the trading sense. What a racket, how come stock exchange data is so inexpensive? Like $1.00/Month at NYSE.

May never get to trade.

Hank

#30     Feb 5, 2004