Simple automated strategy

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by El OchoCinco, Sep 11, 2018.

1. themickey

themickey

I don't believe there is such a thing as simple automated.
    This space can easily become too crowded, any trading which is crowded is driven into oblivion by the competive edge being whittled down to nothing.
    It is easy to forget, there are a zillion computer savvy people all vying to gain an edge over others.
    Long ago they said computers would make work 'easier', to the contrary, work has become more cut throat.

#41     Sep 15, 2018
  2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i swear it would be better to hire nice little empty nest widows / divorcees than to deal with the wannabe newbie trader. the trader will wear you out like a 3 year old with "why" and never follow instructions if their jetta payment depended on it.

#42     Sep 15, 2018
  3. themickey

themickey

I always imagined it would be quite pleasant though having an 18yo curvacious blonde sitting on your knee while you were teaching them.

#43     Sep 15, 2018
  4. kjhosken

kjhosken

I was using TOS for backtesting and have since switched over to MT4 and Tradestation. I have never been taught to code, nor read any books on the matter, just looked at examples and read forums. I am not a great programmer by any means, but I have fully automated trading strats now. Anyway, if you know enough java to write a ToS strategy learning easylanguage shouldn't be too hard. The TS community is also decent at helping you out with problems.

Also, I read that Prodigio can automate ToS, but I found the platform very cumbersome and confusing during a trial.

#44     Sep 16, 2018
  5. qlai

qlai

Just to make sure, are you saying I can use Java with ToS? That would be nice!

#45     Sep 16, 2018
  6. Opened an account at NinkaTrader to start trading there but too lazy and busy to try and automate now so will just watch when I can and set up ATM for stop and target and let them run.

Thanks for the input.

#46     Sep 23, 2018
  7. Q.E.D.

Q.E.D.

Years ago, IB contacted me asking about almost 24/7 trading. But their concern was that it appeared that someone else had trading authority. It wasn't; I just kept odd hours, and would sometimes place trades in the middle of the night.

HOWEVER, if using an automated system, there is a simple solution Open accounts with two, or more brokers, and have the system direct orders, during certain times, to particular brokers. That way, no one broker would suspect 24/7 automated trading.

#47     Dec 15, 2018
  8. Q.E.D.

Q.E.D.

Footnote: Years ago I used automated trading to manage money in stocks & futures. Regardless of the code, or system, things go wrong, and may require human intervention.

#48     Dec 15, 2018
  9. qlai

qlai

Sorry, is that not allowed? Why? We are talking Futures, right?

#49     Dec 15, 2018
  10. Trading Technologies has produced a video series that shows how to build a basic scalping algo with ADL, our DIY algo development tool. Each of the 5 videos are just a few minutes. You may view them here:

#50     Dec 15, 2018