Simple and Complex Option Spread Trading

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by RedSkyS, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

#11     Jun 19, 2006
  2. IN addition, Thinkorswim and Optionsxpress offer straddles, strangles, condors, butterflies and other spreads as one order. I think most of the option focused brokers have complex order screens and quotes.

#12     Jun 19, 2006
  3. Steve IB

Yesterday I tried to do a combo in Vertical spread for ES and got the message-contract not supported. Same message with ER2 as well

Dont you support combos in all products?

#13     Jun 20, 2006
  4. ktm

ktm

I don't believe ES is supported in terms of the legs getting filled separately. I was entering ES spreads on IB for the longest time and wondering why I was only sometimes getting filled and my prices were being passed by. It turns out, Globex will accept those orders as true spreads and display them as such. However very few people deal in ES spreads and I was often the only order out there. IB posts a simulated bid/ask (in purple) based on current bid ask of the legs, however IB does not currently support the functionality to execute leg by leg - as with other products.

If you route to Globex, it will be a true spread. If you route SMART, legs can be filled separately. IB does not allow ES spreads to be routed SMART.

This would be a great benefit for those of us who deal in spreads and I hope someday IB does implement this functionality.

#14     Jun 20, 2006
  5. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

You should be able to do it if you are setting it up correctly. Please see attached screenshot which I just tried on my account.

#15     Jun 20, 2006
  6. Globex does not accept this spread. They have informed me that the lowest strikes they trade for Jun 06 is 1175/1180 put. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

I got above reply from IB. It seems my strike prices were too much out of the money. But I could do them manually leg by leg. So I donot understand why Globex should not do it.

Thanks for the screen shot. I will try again

#16     Jun 21, 2006
  7. ktm

ktm

osho,

Even if it does accept your order, you will not get filled unless someone is actively taking the other side of your spread. In other words, with the legs trading cheaper than what you are willing to pay - you still may not be filled.

#17     Jun 21, 2006