Similarity between the Crusades and today's religious wars

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Sep 15, 2006.

1. nitro

nitro

I am not much of a student of history (sadly.) I am curious if the real historians on this site believe that there are some parallels, if any, between the Crusades of the middle ages, and modern day "religious" wars between muslims and the rest of the world?

This is sort of what I am referring to:

"Muslim Leaders Demand
    An Apology From the Pope
    Associated Press
    September 15, 2006 2:12 p.m.

Muslims around the world expressed outrage over Pope Benedict XVI's comments on Islam and many demanded an apology. Turkey's ruling Islamic party accusing the pope of trying to revive the spirit of the Crusades..."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB115832228593864280.html?mod=home_whats_news_us

nitro

2. its the same war. its just being fought in different ways. its always been boiling under the surface.
    i heard a preacher say recently "jesus commanded us to go out into the world and change muslims to christians". muslims believe it is their mandate to change the world to islam. so the bloodshed continues.
    muslims dont have the power to fight us on equal terms so they strike out in any way possible

3. There is a lot of misunderstanding with the history of the crusades, which has been perpetuated by people with an agenda. The crusades were perpetuated in the beginning with the Muslims moving into Europe in an attempt to convert the territories which make up most of Eastern Europe today to Islam. The christian nations went in to fight against this advance, and then moved further into the Islamic nations to protect their christian counterparts that lived in those lands.

There are of course people who will disagree with this, but they are people who have an understanding that is equal to or less than your own knowledge of history. There really is no parallel to the two. If you really want to study a parallel to Islam today, you need to read about Japan circa the World War II era. The mindset of the Japanese from that time really parallels the muslim mindset of today.

Learn about the perversion of Bushido by the imperialist government of Japan to it's people, and you will be surprised at how closely it resembles present day Islam.

4. Pabst

Pabst

Nitro, the Islamic world has been "frozen" in beliefs, tenets, customs and intellectual discourse for a millennium. Sumerians, Persians and Egyptians contributed a plethora of valuable achievements in our societies formative age. Then it stopped.

Without the vast economic resources of oil these people would live in squaller similar to black Africa. I guess praying to Allah several times a day is less strenuous than toiling at a regular 9 to 5 let alone inventing something more worthwhile than the ultimate carry-on explosive.

So yes Nitro crusade is just jihad but by a more romantic name. But while Christianity was ultimately a rod of enlightenment to the intellectuals and scientists of Europe, Islam is a sword decapitating the evolution of thought. Muslims act they way they do because of Islam. And Islam forces Muslims to act they way they do. There's my Zen thought for the day..........

5. The preacher that you heard is one that should not be listened to. The real teachings of Christianity are one in which you teach people who are seeking to know the word, and not forcing the teachings on others. This is exactly how Jesus taught the word. He did not go around telling people that they had to convert others. The Bible does teach that to be a good Christian you must teach those who want to learn and not turn them away.

One thing that really upsets me about the Christian church is that they have turned to this belief that you HAVE to convert others. This isn't so. If people want to learn it though, it is your duty as a Christian to help them learn the teachings of the Bible.

6. you do not seem to know your bible because it does say exactly that. christians for centuries have used these verses in the bible as their basis for forcing their belief on other nations.
    http://www.carm.org/sermons/Matt_28_16-20.htm
    Matt. 28:16-20
    The Great Commission

"But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. 17And when they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. 18And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
    Conclusion
    Jesus wants you to finish what He began. He came to the disciples, taught them, and worked with them. He then died on the cross and rose from the dead. But, before He ascended into heaven, He gave them, and us, the commission to convert the world.

7. Nowehere in this passage does it state that you are to force people to submit to Christianity. I do not see and maybe you want to elaborate and explain how it states here that you are to force Christ's beliefs on the masses.

8. there are many types of force. it does not have to be physical.

9. How does this statement prove your point?

#10     Sep 15, 2006