Similarities between USA and Roman empire

Discussion in 'Economics' started by fluttrader, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Yes, because from the very moment the land mass of North America was discovered, the corrupt senate was in place, the military was running, the currency was being devalued...etc.

:confused:

#11     Sep 30, 2008
  2. 1st century
    Region / Country

GDP Share
    percentage (%)

World 100
    India 32.9
    Han China 26.2
    Roman Empire 21.5
    Western Europe 10.8

Economically and militarily rome was smaller than han China.

#12     Sep 30, 2008
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Do people who think like this, who can't see that the big picture, that history, politics etc all effect the markets, really make money in the markets?

#13     Sep 30, 2008
  4. and the city of rome has been around since when... actually fuck it i checked The actual city of rome was founded 753 B.C The roman empire at its peak when it encapsulated the whole Mediterranean lasted 500 years if you count the time that it took to build up to that point it was much longer as someone here has mentioned.

#14     Sep 30, 2008
  5. what does a discussion of the US vs Rome have to do with next three months of trading?

The conclusion seems to be that I should short all stocks, sell the dollar, run into gold and move to my farm because the US is about to have a total collapse

#15     Sep 30, 2008
  6. neuronic

neuronic

that conclusion would be correct

#16     Sep 30, 2008
  7. Haha. Rome (and Greece of course) lay the foundation for what is known as Western Civilization.

China had a "mandate from heaven" crap for its rulers while Rome did not (when it was a republic that is) Even now, for all its skyscrapers and starbucks stores one must only say Free Tibet or Tiananmen out loud in China to disappear... Ultimately the concepts of a republic, roman law, greek democracy have an enduring legacy that shape the foundation of how FREE MEN live. Not applicable to China of course.

P.S Everybody knows about Chinese inventions of paper, fireworks, compass, etc but when it comes to relationships between citizens and the government or between citizens themselves China always was and always will be a backward nation.

#17     Sep 30, 2008
  8. #18     Sep 30, 2008
  9. Confucianism, Daoism, Buddhism. I know that. The point I was trying to make is that China was not known for the concept of individualism. It may be an oversimplifcation but it is true. "Power grows from a barrel of a gun" by Mao sums it up nicely.

#19     Sep 30, 2008
  10. Thats why asia runs mercantilist policies.

#20     Sep 30, 2008