Silver may be near another top

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Ghost of Cutten, May 10, 2011.

1. m22au

m22au

When you refer to "SLV", do you mean SLV or do you mean silver spot / futures?

because the high for SLV today is 38.37

#11     May 11, 2011
  2. hajimow

hajimow

I mean SLV ETF. By the way, I have never traded silver. I am just observing. I am interested only its effect in the stock market. I trade SPY and tech options

#12     May 11, 2011
  3. I've exited my outright shorts, and just have on some of the long gold/short silver spreads now, which I intend to hold longer-term. IMO silver is looking like it could be in a volatile trading range for a while (maybe 1 month or so), although I expect it to eventually break significantly lower. I'll look to place bearish bets into the rallies ($39-42) and cover some of them into declines, but will keep a core short position expecting an eventual break into the 20s.

My ideal scenario would be an eventual double top around $40-41, where I will load the put on December puts, anticipating an eventual bear market collapse into the low 20s. If it happens, that could produce some hefty gains.

#13     May 13, 2011
  4. m22au

m22au

Although I don't share your conviction about a break below $30, I am seeing some similarities between silver and the Nasdaq in 2000.

Nasdaq peak in March 2000 = *roughly* 5,000 points
    silver peak in 2011 = *roughly* 5,000 cents

Nasdaq intermediate trough a few weeks later = *roughly* 3,200
    silver trough a week later = roughly 3,200 cents

then as we know the Naz was able to rise up to 4,000 or so in September, before it started to decline again.

#14     May 13, 2011
  5. I'm just curious, do you have any fundamental rationalization why you think silver should collapse into the $20s? The metal has been suppressed by naked shorts for a very long time.

If you're a commodity bear, that's one thing. But I don't see you shorting oil or gasoline or softs or gold.

#15     May 13, 2011
  6. ALL SHORTS IN FUTURES ARE NAKED!!!!!!!!!!

#16     May 13, 2011
  7. A lot depends on currencies and how the indices trade from here. Don't think we'll drop to the 20's from here just yet.

I suspect we break the previous high (37.90), suck in some longs before we turn back down.

I'll be watching 41.25 on the short side.

#17     May 13, 2011
  8. Bought the exact low - sold the exact high yesterday in Silver. Was a very nice day.

Today's gap fill was very clear as well.

#18     May 13, 2011
  9. Short Yen as well. Planning to hold this sucker for 2-6 weeks.

Good risk vs reward IMO.

#19     May 13, 2011
  10. I would agree with your points. The hype cycle has been completed. From the retail end consumers have been pumped and the next stage with follow. Time to scare them all out of the market and buy it back at the bottom.

Akuma

#20     May 15, 2011