SILVER INVESTORS: Take off your Tin Foil Hats!

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Chicago_CTA, May 4, 2011.

1. You're obviously clueless when it comes to buying & selling bullion. I can go into it, but I won't even bother. I'll put it simply, if you got silver bullion, I'll buy it at July spot. I've been browsing Ebay & Craiglist this whole week and reasonable sellers are seriously lacking. Premiums on bullion are growing. And that $38 quote from Bullion Direct, you will be waiting for it for weeks if not months. That's their market maker quote, who does not really have that supply.

And lose your silly Tin Foil quote, you sound like an idiot. I was short silver from high 40s after the blow-off spike. Covered too early, but that's another story. This monster sell-off is mostly running of the margin and stops.

#51     May 5, 2011
  2. olias

olias

It sounds like you're saying it became harder to buy, but would it not also become harder to sell? A net neutral effect?

I think I spelled out my question pretty simply: why would a margin hike affect the longs more than the shorts? Please someone answer this in plain English for me.

#52     May 5, 2011

3. Riiiiiight, tin-foil hatter.

Browsing craigslist? Looking to meet a transexual who can be discreet? Who the heck buys coins on craigslist! LOL

I got my spot from Gainsville coins:

http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/category/364/American+Silver+Eagles.aspx

Tordella & Brookes is good if you're in NYC, near the NYSE.

Good luck finding love on Craigslist, HydroBlunt.

:cool: :cool:

#53     May 5, 2011
  4. so you admit the Silver market is being manipulated by pyramiding compulsive tin foil hat psychos.

Anyone that was FORCED to sell a long position in the 40's deserves to be carried out feet first.

As I've said, the margin hikes have very little to do with the fall. It's to guarantee that the many deadbeats that pollute the markets HAVE to pay their due bills, and can't lose more than their cash on hand.

What good is it to drop silver $10 if 30% of the accounts go into debit, and cause systemic risk and losses to brokers?

I notice the drops have been pretty much limited to the margin amount. I notice none of the turkeys here pointing it out. I mention it only in passing, as I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Now I have to shower, as I've spent too much time here today, and feel unclean.

[​IMG]

#54     May 5, 2011
  5. I haven't tracked actual bullion spot prices vs futures.

How did they correlate over the past year? Did the futures have a premium over bullion spot prices or vice versa? By how much?

#55     May 5, 2011
  6. This last week silver has traded suspiciously. I don't know how anyone can call bottoms or tops on a precious commodity that is worth only exactly how much its aggregate perception is, but so many are.

I am a brand new trader, but when you see an incline so parabolic and then 2 days of decling price support on dips and big sell offs before the bell, how could you not know it is heading south.

Anyway, guess I'll have to say thank you to silver at graduation, because shorting it madr enough to paid for my tuition next year.

#56     May 5, 2011
  7. Occam

Occam

Very true, especially when it comes to on-line message boards (the boards with a higher "amateur" contingent such as Yahoo's are by far the worst, but it does appear that the same human nature, as you put it, affects even the exclusively professional crowd here at ET :D).

I wonder whether the phenomenon isn't getting worse due to the supposed increase in narcissism (if this type of study is to be believed):

http://www.nctimes.com/lifestyles/article_cff2bdaa-d055-524c-92f0-65f85b0a5d1d.html

#57     May 6, 2011
  8. For all the detractors, Hydroblunt is absolutely correct as are the few others who have repeatedly made mention that the physical market is severely divergent with the "paper" market. He's also correct that some of these prices that you are seeing for the product will likely result in very long waits.

Heck, like anyone else, I'd love for there to be tons of real supply out there, but that simply isn't the case. If the "risk on" trade that's been shooting every asset class to the moon is over temporarily, maybe things will cool down a bit and bring out more sellers of physical, but that's a bit iffy.

#58     May 6, 2011
  9. Where is this physical/bullion market you're all speaking of?

#59     May 6, 2011
  10. cvds16

cvds16

very much doubt this story about 'physical' market, arbs must be making a fortune if that were true ...

#60     May 6, 2011