Signs you have made it as a trader

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Pekelo, Feb 17, 2008.

1. excellent post, not sure why people care that much that they will instantly caterogize a person in such a way. Not everything can be brought back to a sound financial decision, other factors are involved.

#11     Feb 18, 2008
  2. Amen

There are those who really do enjoy driving and they want a sweet car.

Then there are those who do it to show off and attract attention -which is unfufilling

Rcanfiel should not lump all those who drive nice cars into the latter

#12     Feb 18, 2008
  3. Cheese

Cheese

How little people know about themselves. Signs of who we are and our achievements are central to human civilization. The species, human kind, is a 'parading' animal. Through cars, houses, boats, clothes, prizes and much else the 'parading' need is worked all the time by almost all people. Together we like the 'parading' phenomenon in social interaction and position, street parades, military uniforms, celebrations and many more ways.

So of course if you're not going anywhere in life and don't have the ability for material success you can choose to be comfortable on very little. But then again the human urge in rivalry and competitiveness takes you right back along the 'parading' route which marks out human life and activity on this planet.
    :)

#13     Feb 18, 2008
  4. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Less red & more black :)

#14     Feb 18, 2008
  5. Signs you have made it as a trader:

It's not fancy cars and homes. Live below your means, you will be happier in the long run.

The true sign of success is when your quest for the holy grail is over. No more CNBC, no more searching for the latest and greatest software, you don't need Traders chat rooms or hot sheets.

The true sign of success is when you are consistantly profitable month after month with your own repeatable trading strategy, no matter what the market is doing, and the profits are more than you need to live on.

#15     Feb 18, 2008
  6. So many people fall into the trap of wanting to be someone in this "me, me, look at me" society that we live in.

I'm not completely immune to it, but I always try to not overindulge my desire when it comes to purchasing any depreciating assets.

I've been wavering on whether to replace my 8-year-old car, which has been rock solid (completely trouble-free), just because it LOOKS all crappy now.

Still haven't been able to convince that I need a new ride although I've been looking closely at the BMW 335i Coupe though. :D

I must resist, I must resist, I must resist....

#16     Feb 18, 2008
  7. bat1

bat1

so right!
    people who invest in expensive toys are not signs to me they made it as a trader. It only shows they are trying to get others to notice them. That is the sign of an empty existence, not that you are successful

helping others in need to me has way more meaning
    seeing a smile on a homeless kid or a mother
    who needs a car so she could have a job..you
    could go on and on helping..yet many RICH don't
    they feel better waxing a Ferrari only to collect
    dust again..... and having it sitting...what a empty
    life that is.....

ask your self...when you die what will people say about
    you? there you are in a grave and people are there
    at your funeral...what will they say? something to think about.

#17     Feb 18, 2008
  8. bathrobe

bathrobe

The person who has a nice car but has it so others can see him in it has a drug-dealer mentality. Drives a mercedes but lives in a 300/month apt. It is all for show

#18     Feb 18, 2008
  9. Honda makes good reliable cars and SUV's. The maintenance, insurance cost, risk of vandalism & theft is probably quite a bit lower than a flashy BMW (and I did own a new BMW about 14 years ago, nice ride but not exactly trouble free)

#19     Feb 18, 2008

10. Yup, Honda is what I drive right now. Nothing flash, but solid as a rock. It's an amazing car in terms of reliability!

It's a very boring car though. :D

#20     Feb 18, 2008