Signing As Individual or LLC With A Prop Firm?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by sobepehopeful, Jan 6, 2009.

1. dve250

dve250

#11     Jan 8, 2009
  2. Most prefer the tax and limited liability of individual membership.

Don

#12     Jan 8, 2009
  3. dve250

dve250

According to that article and other sources I read, If you don't set up the LLC to tax as an S-Corp you will have to pay Self Employment tax on the total income you generate. Whereas in an S-Corp you pay yourself a reasonable wage and pay Self Employment tax on that, and money above that is distributed as a dividend, thus saving on taxes.

#13     Jan 8, 2009
  4. As noted in Bob Green's article, and our last 18 years, our LLC members are exempt from Self Employment taxes. An S corp entity would have to have the "owner" sign personal guarantees in excess of the risk capital (as is required by 99% of all lending institutions). The IRS is hot on the low self wage paid by an S-Corp, giant red flag item. You can call Ray Lucia on that one, LOL.

(once again, not tax or legal advice, and not from Bright Trading or any of its' affiliates. Personal opinion from me, my public accounting experience)

Just trying to help, and show you how we handle things.

Don

#14     Jan 8, 2009

5. Don, it seems like it's less hassle for a trader to sign up as an individual, but if a trader was with a firm that issues a K-1 and he/she signed on with that firm under an LLC, wouldn't there be more tax write-offs available because of the LLC opposed to the individual?

#15     Jan 8, 2009
  6. We allow our traders to submit all legitamit expenses to us in December, thus lowering their K-1 number, which is probably the best way to benefit. And, the 15% exemption from SS tax covers a lot of retirement $$.

FWIW,

Don

#16     Jan 8, 2009
  7. dve250

dve250

8. Is this just for "prop" traders?

Would this apply for someone trading their own money (NO series 7, no extra leverage) at a prop firm?

#18     Jan 22, 2009
  9. Well...you pretty much defeat the purpose of being at a Prop firm... not taking advantage of the benefits...so, I guess you could do whatever you like as a Retail trader.

(I may have missed something?)

Don

#19     Jan 23, 2009