SIGM trading near liquidation value (Strong Buy)

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by MrDODGE, Apr 15, 2008.

1. #51     Apr 21, 2008
  2. dman666

dman666

Clicked on your link and here's what the Wikipedia has to say about "Value Investing":

"Although value investing has taken many forms since its inception"

"generally involves buying securities whose shares appear underpriced"

"As examples, such securities may be stock in public companies that trade at discounts to book value or tangible book value, have high dividend yields, have low price-to-earning multiples or have low price-to-book ratios."

When he said buying the stock can be considered "value buying", what form of value buying is he referring to?

By looking at the numbers, SIGM may appear to be underpriced (according to people in the thread), but appearances don't always match expectations. The magician appeared to make the bird disappear.

And which ratio should I use to determine whether a stock is undervalued?

#52     Apr 21, 2008
  3. That's like asking "What timeframe should I use for daytrading: 5 seconds or 5 minutes?"

#53     Apr 21, 2008
  4. lol dman does anything satisfy you? have you ever heard of buffet or graham?

#54     Apr 21, 2008
  5. ok so i'm out of the trade at work. the stock i was talking about is VR. it would be more of a true value investing play. pretty boring stock that is trading below book value. they are making money and growing earnings and book value (up 20% last year). they also pay a solid 3.5% div. they had almost no subprime exposure (only $22 mil) and they have been using mark to market accounting since early last year. have to wait til this quarter's earnings report to see if the market is wrong or if i am wrong.

#55     Apr 21, 2008
  6. Trade The News reporting a possible STM buyout or buyin of SIGM is in the works.

#56     Apr 23, 2008
  7. $18.50 is still a safe entry point :D

#57     Apr 28, 2008
  8. You guys are missing the fun

#58     May 5, 2008
  9. This was a great call, period.

I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on this now, though. It's moved 25% up in two weeks, and 13% of that is today alone on an upgrade note.

#59     May 5, 2008
  10. There was no upgrade this morning. So far I am not able to find any news that would send this up 13%.

I am thinking short covering or buying before a buyout.

#60     May 5, 2008