Sierra Chart with CQG feed, same performance with every FCM ?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by CALLumbus, Jun 21, 2018.

1. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Hey guys and girls,

I have a probably pretty stupid question, but because I am not really a genius with all that technical stuff, maybe some of you can help me with my problem:

I like Sierra Chart with CQG (CQG FIX) feed. I am using it with FCM "X", the performance is excellent, but for some reason I would like to switch to another FCM in the near future. FCM "Y" offers the same combo, Sierra Chart with CQG. Can I expect the same (identical !) superb performance on Sierra Chart that I have with FCM "X", or is the performance also depending on factor(s) the FCM can influence (their servers, IT structure).

Thank you !

CSEtrader likes this.
  2. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Include FCM authentication, security, account risk and other compliance management/routines on the backend.

3. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Sorry, but I am afraid I dont understand... you mean these factors might also influence the performance of the platform ? Account risk ?

4. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

To the extent that SC does it's thing based on messages it receives, yes!

CSEtrader and CALLumbus like this.
  5. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Theoretically, yes. Providing the FCM is giving you a true direct to exchange feed, which they should be with CQG. However, the only way to be sure that the feeds would be identical, thus populating your charts in the manner you have become accustomed to, can only be determined by running them side by side. Remember, any charting program is like a radio receiver, only as good as the signal it receives. Most of the new breed of FCM's, always offer a free trial.
    Get one, then get to work.

Zodiac4u, CSEtrader and CALLumbus like this.
  6. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

Big AAPL, is totally correct! This is a protective measure, running platforms side by side to insure your getting a fair shake is an absolute must. This approach has kept me from making the mistake of switching from CQG to my FCM's new platform. I've always liked the old CQG trader, but since they've incorporated charts in with the basic trader, I've decided go with someone else. Not saying there was anything wrong, It was just lacking an option that i needed have.

FYI, Questions are never stupid when your looking for help.

CALLumbus and CSEtrader like this.
  7. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Thank you all for your input !

8. piezoe

piezoe

It is my understanding that there is no longer any such thing as direct to exchange if a third party is involved. The SEC requires that all orders be screened on the way to the exchange. Am I wrong?

9. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

I personally do not know the answer to this, but it is my understanding that for CQG, at least, it is DMA (direct market access) through co hosted gateways. At least that is the way they advertise it. I am sure some screening is probably required though to ensure authenticity and meeting margin requirements. Remember, this information is intended for the retail trader. I am sure the big houses have a different set of messaging rules. If, however, you are insinuating that orders go through the brokers who may be taking the other side, I am confident this is not the case. At least with a product like CQG.

piezoe likes this.
  10. piezoe

piezoe

Yes, that that is my understanding too. I suppose it boils down to advertising jargon, i.e., just how direct is "direct".

#10     Jun 26, 2018