Sierra Chart vs. QuoteTracker vs. Other

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gotta_trade, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Yeah, I don't like that.

I want something that's keeping up with the times.

"Happiness has little to do with the circumstances you find yourself in, but rather what your attitude is towards your circumstances."

#11     Jan 21, 2011
  2. There is something about the look and feel of QT that I find comforting.:)

#12     Jan 22, 2011
  3. Sierracharts, there is no other. It takes a while to get used to, but you will never go back to that buggy ninjatrader.

#13     Jan 22, 2011
  4. Locutus

Locutus

Sierracharts, indeed! There is literally no significant feature I have found in any other package (even more advanced ones like market delta, which doesn't even have DOM/chart trading, like their footprint type charts or delta (bid/ask volume diff) that I haven't been able to reproduce with SC.

Of course the difference is you have to set it up yourself and it's slightly more complex but also infinitely more flexible and easy to use once you get used to it.

I tried MD because I found their trading concepts interesting, then I went back to SC when I Found out that it had all of MD's features but didn't advertise them :)

It's also very affordable.

#14     Jan 22, 2011
  5. You can right your own indicators in SC. To my knowledge can't do that with QT. Must use the canned indicators built into the platform.

#15     Jan 22, 2011
  6. I have a lot of experience with Sierra. I don't with others so my opinion probably doesn't mean much. Regardless, Sierra can pretty much let you accomplish whatever it is you need.

They have a worksheet system for trading that lets you make automated trading strategies from an "Excel Style" setup, which is really nice if you are not that knowledgeable in C++ (also has C++). The downfall to that is it runs slower (backtesting - excel). But still usable, IMO.

As far as indicators, libraries, etc. it has everything. Also very customizable. They have created additions to the software for me personally free of cost.

Probably the best part though is their support. Always get an answer under 24 hours, usually within an hour. Most members are knowledgeable about the product and willing to help. In addition, there are some pretty smart people overall that lurk the forums. Good conversation..

GL

#16     Jan 22, 2011
  7. I've used SC charts for years and have always been pleased. I am about to try them as a front end and suspect it will be fine. I will give my impressions in a few weeks.

#17     Jan 22, 2011
  8. We went through pretty much this same exercise on the thread about charting app with IB. FWIW I went with ninja and haven't had any issues. I can't say it is as seamless as QCharts or as intuitive, and there are some things I would have put in the s/w ahead of adding 800 indicators that noone has heard of and all measure basically the same thing anyway. But newbies want to see a long list of indicators, so I get it.

I'm not knocking SC. They have been around forever and offer a good value.

#18     Jan 22, 2011